freebore [leade] in the grendel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have the modified case for the Hornady OAL Gauge as well, but looking at it the other night shows it's a modified Lapua case. I measured it with a bump gauge, and it was the same length as an unfired AA/Lapua case. My bump gauge doesn't hit right at the datum line on the case - just below acutally - but the unfired AA/Lapua cases measure 1.150", and fired cases measure 1.163". That corresponds closely with First Strike's measurments for once fired Lapua vs Hornady modified OAL gauge case.

My question then is: what are the measurements of once fired brass for y'all with Grendel chambers? To me, a .010" bump seems excessive and I wonder if it's causing me to sometimes get a round stuck into the lands. This has happened about a dozen times with 123g AMAX ammo loaded to 2.265", which doesn't make sense.

Comment

• first strike

the reason i started this thread was to find out if my chamber is normal..should have shot groups first instead of just break-in..[range is 2 hours away so i only shoot once a week]after shooting yesterday i find the rifle is extremely accurate so at this point it doesn't really matter..thanks all for the opinions,,i look forward to reading more topics and being able to compare how mine shoots with others on this forum...regards F/S

Comment

Bill Alexander advises that his compound throat makes jump measurements null and void and not to do it. I'm not sure what he knows that I don't but I've found measurements to be very revealing. Things like some of the bullets if seated at mag length are jammed into the throat significantly and others have huge jumps. What you do with that knowledge is up to you.
        BOY! I'm glad you said this.
        I was beginning to think I'd lost my mind after doing some Stoney Point
        distance-to-lands measurements and getting wildly short numbers.

Now I can go back downstairs and load up another five Scenars seated
        10-thoundths further out to 2.265" (like AA lists) and not lose sleep
        tonight.
        Last edited by Guest; 01-30-2012, 11:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X