IMR 8208-XBR and the Grendel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They are shorter, I shoot them out of a slow twist Krieger for short range use only. I contacted Bob C. to resupply, he will still build them if you want. The price is $367.25 per thousand, one month + to get in que and 8 working days from production start to ship date. He does this as a hobby, as a labor of love, not for at profit.
    Bob

Comment

• Flyguy11
      Warrior
      • Nov 2015

Anyone use this powder with the Berger 130gr AR hybrid?

Comment

• pdq5oh
        Bloodstained
        • Jun 2015

I loaded a few and got the best groups to date with these bullets but velocity wasn't there. 26.2 gr only got me 2309 average. You've got me thinking I should revisit and increase the charge. I figure I've got another 2 gr of powder to go. I've had the best luck with 28.3 with 123 Amax and 28.1 with 123 SST. I will say this tho. I've had very good luck on steel at 1000 yds with the 130 Hybrids over 30 gr of CFE, tho groups at 100 suck. Go figure. The Hybrids I loaded were 2.265 OAL. Barrel is BHW 18", 1:9. In talking to the techs at Berger they felt my barrel should stabilize the Hybrids ok. My thinking is they don't become fully stable until close to 200 yds. I'm going to shoot them at 200 and compare groups.
        Phil

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Flyguy11 View Post
          Anyone use this powder with the Berger 130gr AR hybrid?
          I would not use that powder with anything over 123gr, and even in 123gr, you can spike the pressures with it to a point where you will break things. 8208XBR is a great powder for 100gr, and if you stay limited to 28.5gr, it's fine for some of the 123gr pills. Accuracy is excellent because of it being a stable extruded powder that gets a good case fill in the Grendel.

You need a tight twist with a bullet that is that long.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
          X