• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • koden
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2014

123g Sierra Matchking Pointed

I was browsing through the Applied Ballistics bullet library and came across a Sierra 6.5mm 123 grain MatchKing Pointed entry. The app on my phone says it has a G1 of .531/G7 .272 and a length of 1.251. Thats a shorter bullet than the regular 123 SMK with a much better BC.

I cant find that bullet anywhere outside the AB app. Is it an old bullet that was discontinued? I would think that would be the holy grail bullet for the Grendel but those numbers seem a bit unbelievable.
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

The standard 123gr SMK as measured by Litz was a .522 G1/.260 G7 BC in some of the open-source literature I printed out he had online several years ago.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Bobke
      Warrior
      • Dec 2015

I tip/point the older 123 BTHP?s, and over 27.2gr AR Comp, is exceptional in two Saterns, and a new 20? Wilson Combat barrel. No experience with new factory pointed 123?s.

Comment

• Lemonaid
        Warrior
        • Feb 2019

I don't see anything that matches on sierra's site.
        Interesting side note: The 130 Sierra TMK's BC starts at .518 above 2200 fps then RISES to .535 from 2200 to 1625.

Comment

• koden
          Bloodstained
          • Sep 2014

The "Tipped" Matchkings are new offerings and are different than the Matchking "Pointed" bullets referred to by the AB data. They are both listed with different stats.

So do the Matchking tipped entries refer to a regular SMK that people like Bobke turn down to a point themselves?
          Last edited by koden; 10-14-2019, 08:47 PM.

Comment

• koden
            Bloodstained
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Lemonaid View Post
            Interesting side note: The 130 Sierra TMK's BC starts at .518 above 2200 fps then RISES to .535 from 2200 to 1625.
            The AB app lists the 130 TMK as having a .533 G1/.273 G7. The BC numbers are great but take up too much case capacity to load at mag length in a small frame AR. I have the 130 TMK and 130 RDF bullets but velocity out of the grendel is on the slow side even with CFE 223.

Comment

• BobinNC
              Warrior
              • Oct 2017

Originally posted by koden View Post
              I was browsing through the Applied Ballistics bullet library and came across a Sierra 6.5mm 123 grain MatchKing Pointed entry. The app on my phone says it has a G1 of .531/G7 .272 and a length of 1.251. Thats a shorter bullet than the regular 123 SMK with a much better BC.

I cant find that bullet anywhere outside the AB app. Is it an old bullet that was discontinued? I would think that would be the holy grail bullet for the Grendel but those numbers seem a bit unbelievable.
              This blurb from Sierra should clear things up for you.

Comment

• koden
                Bloodstained
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by BobinNC View Post
                This blurb from Sierra should clear things up for you.

https://sierrabulletsblog.com/2016/0...inted-bullets/
                Thanks for the link! I emailed them to see if there still available pointed from the factory and how to order.

Comment

Working...
                X