• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BIGHORN66
    Bloodstained
    • Apr 2018

AR Comp

Need some data for AR Comp & Sierra 120 gr Pro Hunters.
    Picked up several hundred of these and want to see if I can come up with a hunting load.

Can't find any published data for AR Comp & this bullet with seating depth.
    Anybody got anything?
    Thanks.
  • 1Shot
    Warrior
    • Feb 2018

If you can't find data for that specific Sierra bullet just find data for a 120 gr cup and core style bullet and began at the starting load and work up using a chronograph to watch your velocity which will tell you when you are getting to your max. For instance depending on your barrel length compare what velocities are normal for max loads and do not load any higher on the velocity.
    As for seating depth if using an AR you are limited to what will fit into your magazine. In my experience the 120 Sierra Pro Hunter is not a picky bullet to find a load for and mag length seating depth it shoots great in two different ARs. I use IMR 8208 and with 18" I get a touch over 2500 fps and 20" right at 2550 fps with sub MOA accuracy. This will be the bullet I will be using this deer season in my 18" rifle. I have killed a bunch of deer with this bullet out of a 6.5x55 out to yardages were it has slowed down to the velocities of what the Grendel runs in the out to 200 of so yardage. It does great.

Comment

• Popeye212
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2018

I had a load at 27.7 with ARcomp with the Nosler 120 I would uste that as max and work up to it. They shot well but I think the velocity wasn't what I wanted. Like 1shot said 8208xbr shoots lights out with them.

Comment

• gldprimr
        Bloodstained
        • Jan 2016

Take a look at this website though as with all internet data exercise good judgement, start lower than maximum charge and work up.
        If you go to line 87 there is a AR-Comp load with 120 gr. Sierra Pro Hunters.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by gldprimr View Post
          Take a look at this website though as with all internet data exercise good judgement, start lower than maximum charge and work up.
          If you go to line 87 there is a AR-Comp load with 120 gr. Sierra Pro Hunters.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=385694173
          Take that list of data and delete it.

You couldn't pay me enough money to trust any load data that comes from that fruitcake.

I would strongly strongly strongly urge members to avoid this data like it has the plague.

Comment

• Rugerfan.64
            Warrior
            • May 2014

Shhhheeee it ,,,,, I thought I had posted up several reloading data pages from Shooting Times . I think I settled on 27.3 gn under that bullet. There are several threads on here asking about AR Comp. I thought I had it on this computer but apparently its on the work computer. It was pretty fast but I never had any problem with pressure signs. Its a darn good bullet for deer and such.

Comment

• Bobke
              Warrior
              • Dec 2015

Having very consistent and accurate results with 27.2 AR Comp and 123 Sierras in 3 different Grendel barrels-2 Saterns and a Wilson Combat. Not highest velocity-that may be CFE-but accuracy exceptional.

Comment

• cwlongshot
                Warrior
                • Mar 2018

It works well for me from 25.5-27g. But I settled on 26 because it also shoots Gold Dots and SST?s nearly same POI.

Sierras strike 1.5? high. GD 1/2? high and SST 1/2 right a d 1/2? high.

ALL at or under 1? @ 100.

CW

Comment

• fdbyrne78
                  Bloodstained
                  • Aug 2017

27.4gr gives me an ES of 8 with 5-shot groups using that bullet. The load is more accurate than I am. Velocity is around 2530 out of my 20" barrel so it's definitely not a super hot load.

Comment

• Old Bob
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2019

This fellow did some load work with AR-Comp using Nosler 129 grain Accubond bullets. He also has loads for IMR 4166 Enduron powder. He gabs a bunch in this videos so be patient... he gets around to shooting eventually.

I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• Rugerfan.64
                      Warrior
                      • May 2014

6.5 grendel load data ST.jpg
                      Found it , this is from a Shooting Times article .

6.5 Grendel Data A.jpg
                      This one is also from Shooting Times

Comment

• BIGHORN66
                        Bloodstained
                        • Apr 2018

Thanks all!!

Comment

• lazyengineer
                          Chieftain
                          • Feb 2019

My biggest complaint with ARComp is it just doesn't meter very well. If you're mass-charging via something like a ChargeMaster, then I suppose that doesn't matter. But if you're running a progressive; you get the double hit of coarse grains not throwing as consistently, combined with the charge usually fills all the way up into the neck, so it can spit some out while rotating through the press. net result is getting consistent charges with ARComp in a progressive for Grendel isn't the easiest. One of the reasons I like 8208 and TAC better. But I will say, with 100 gr bullets, ARComp is the powder that I get the best test results with in my own anecdotal personal usage.
                          4x P100

Comment

• BIGHORN66
                            Bloodstained
                            • Apr 2018

What seating depth is being used for an AR with 8208 & AR Comp?

Comment

• Popeye212
                              Chieftain
                              • Jan 2018

I am using 2.245 with 8208xbr. Sierra book says 2.125

Comment

Working...
                              X