• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gofastman
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2019

Help please, expander ball diameter.

I went to go load some rounds with my new Lee dies and I smooshed 3 cases while trying to seat the bullets.
    I measured my Lee sizing die expander ball/neck sizer thing and it was 0.2632" on my micrometer.
    That doesn't seem like enough, does it?
  • Klem
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Back the seating die off a full turn, then screw the seating stem in to make up the difference.

Lee has a bad reputation on this forum so before jumping to conclusions try that first.

Comment

• Lemonaid
      Warrior
      • Feb 2019

See this thread for more info.
      Having trouble with shoulders collapsing seating 120 speer gold dot bullets anyone have any problems like this ,brass is new did a full work up on chaffering the case mouths brass was trimmed to proper specs using lee dies set up to there instructions .

Comment

• gofastman
        Bloodstained
        • Sep 2019

Originally posted by Lemonaid View Post
        Backing the seating die out a turn fixed it!
        That is really strange! I don't think this die crimps, and I followed the Lee instructions for setup, but it works fine now that it's backed out a bit.
        Thanks!

Comment

• Lemonaid
          Warrior
          • Feb 2019

That's what this forum is all about, getting info you don't have and sharing what you do.
          Out of curiosity, what bullets were you having problems with? Was it the 120 Gold dots?
          Last edited by Lemonaid; 11-13-2019, 03:46 AM. Reason: missing letter s

Comment

• gofastman
            Bloodstained
            • Sep 2019

Originally posted by Lemonaid View Post
            That's what this forum is all about, getting info you don't have and sharing what you do.
            Out of curiosity, what bullets were you having problems with? Was it the 120 Gold dots?

95grain Maker TRex

Comment

• grayfox
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2017

In case you're not doing this, here's another little tip, get a VLD inner chamfer and inner chamfer all cases with it. Its angle is a little shallower than a regular one and helps ease the bullet into the case mouth. Do this for all cases every time, new or x-fired.
              "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• FLshooter
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2019

Not sure exactly about what is causing your crushed shoulders,as I don?t use Lee dies too often.But,I did have a similar problem.
                Years back,I was getting crushed shoulders on some of my cases while seating bullets.I was using an RCBS die which seats and crimps in one step.Turned out my cases were not uniform.Since then,I run every case through my trimmer.With all cases being uniform,I no longer have a crushed shoulder.

Comment

• gofastman
                  Bloodstained
                  • Sep 2019

Update: crushed several more cases. These dies are going in the trash.

Comment

• Msalm
                    Warrior
                    • May 2018

Before chucking them, try this. Measure OAL on several cases, take the longest one and put in the shellholder. Screw the seating stem out several turns and also the die. Raise ram and then screw die down til it bottoms out on case. Unscrew die 1/2 turn from that point and lock it down. Then install a fully assembled round, raise ram and screw seating stem down to touch. Should be set properly now. The only other reason you would buckle necks is not chamfering the inside of the case neck properly or enough.

Comment

• Klem
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by gofastman View Post
                      Update: crushed several more cases. These dies are going in the trash.
                      This is what I mean, jumping to conclusions. Lee are lowest quality parts but it's more likely incorrect setup that is causing the crush. You said it yourself it started to work after backing off one full turn...work through the problem, persevere.

Comment

• grayfox
                        Chieftain
                        • Jan 2017

You are measuring/trimming them to be 1.510-1.520 case OAL (Grendel spec), right?

Your case mouth could well be hitting the internal crimp/upper edge of the neck-sizing region.
                        Not sure but if you raise the die body too far up then your shoulder will not resize down to its spec.

I would definitely get better dies, hornady or rcbs, or even better than those, but those are known to work well.
                        Those Lee dies are costing you money, brass and time.
                        "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Rosecrans1
                          Warrior
                          • Feb 2019

What MSALM and earlier, what Klem had said should work but.......I know older Lee dies do not lock down but use an O ring on the locking nut which does move when you take the die on and off the press. If your newer Lee die doesn't have a locking set-screw or locking mechanism other than a rubber O ring, it likely moved when you switched dies. When I used Lee dies, I kept a dummy round, (no primer/powder), that was sized and spaced for OAL for any loads I deemed worthy. I used it to put the die down on top of each time I wanted to load using that bullet and OAL using the instructions these gentlemen stated earlier. Just a thought before you round-file those dies!

Comment

• FLshooter
                            Chieftain
                            • Jun 2019

Although,I prefer Forster,I know lots of shooters who use Lee dies all day,every day.They never complain about crushed shoulders.I have to agree w/Clem and say “incorrect set up”.
                            I’d measure my brass first.Trim them all to the same size.If all else fail,call lee.They have a Customer service # and I am sure they give technical advice.

Comment

• GREYBUFF
                              Warrior
                              • Nov 2018

I am using Lee dies and once I got the seating die set up I put blue loctite on the locking nut. I also tighten the dies down with a wrench even though it has the o-ring. I've never had any issues. Also, ALL cases have been trimmed to the proper length before seating bullets.
                              I thought about selling my weapons back to the government, but after a thorough background check it was determined that the buyer has a long history of violence and is mentally unstable. Therefore could not pass NICS.

Comment

Working...
                              X