• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unlucky7
    Unwashed
    • May 2018

140 accubonds for 6.5 Grendel

Need some info gentleman. Got some 140 accubonds for a steal . But reading on other sites they say that the best bullet for the grendel is 130 or less. Can I shoot the 140s ? I have a 18 inch spiral stainless barrel . Also I guess I need to expand my powders . LVR and XBR are not working for some of the other Hornady bullets I have . Any load info on the 140s
  • lazyengineer
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2019

There are two challenges with 140's in Grendel. Too long, so can't get enough gunpowder into the round (assuming you have enough ogave to even get full neck-grip on them). And too heavy, so that velocities end up being so slow, the bullet never gets up to the speed it's designed for.

You should be able to make some relatively short-range range shooters I guess.
    4x P100

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

In my mind, the 140gr Accubond is more ideal for .264 Win Mag velocities to get the expansion one would want.

Accubonds were made to deal with high velocity rifles in hunting scenarios where some hunters were tired of blasting the meat with lead shower from conventional cup/core bullets, so they found a way to bond the jacket to the lead core in order to provide more controlled expansions for really high impact speeds.

This is why the 129gr Accubond Long Range is nice in Grendel, as it was meant to provide controlled expansion at much lower impact speeds typical in longer-range hunting scenarios, while still not coming apart at close ranges. It has a 1300fps expansion envelope as a result.

A 140gr Accubond will still kill when fired at Grendel speeds, but I suspect it will not expand that much, depending on the range.

Looking at their expansion envelope graphics with recovered projectiles, the 1800fps impact samples seem to show plenty of mushroomed expansion, so looks better than I thought.

Accubond expansion is rated at 1800fps, so....

Assuming an 18" barrel pushing the 140gr AB at 2200fps:

100 2044fps 1299 ft-lbs
      200 1896fps 1117 ft-lbs
      250 1824fps 1034 ft-lbs

So it should perform more than adequately for common hunting distances, while packing a lot of energy. If you zero at 200yds, it will be 3" high at 100-125yds, and 5" low at 250yds assuming scope height of 2.5".
      Last edited by LRRPF52; 11-15-2019, 08:48 PM.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Unlucky7
        Unwashed
        • May 2018

Thanks . will let you know what happens

Comment

• kmon
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2015

The goal of the Accubond bullet was to create one that flies like a Ballistic Tip and performs in game like a partition. In most cases I think they did very well in meeting those goals. I do not like them below 1900fps impact velocity just not much expansion unless bone is hit. The velocities obtainable in a 18 inch Grendel or even 22 inch grendel I look at the 140s as they will work but I would keep it inside 150 or so yards.

My hunting loads for the Grendel are with the 129gr Long Range Accubond

Comment

• Unlucky7
            Unwashed
            • May 2018

Originally posted by kmon View Post
            The goal of the Accubond bullet was to create one that flies like a Ballistic Tip and performs in game like a partition. In most cases I think they did very well in meeting those goals. I do not like them below 1900fps impact velocity just not much expansion unless bone is hit. The velocities obtainable in a 18 inch Grendel or even 22 inch grendel I look at the 140s as they will work but I would keep it inside 150 or so yards.

My hunting loads for the Grendel are with the 129gr Long Range Accubond
            yes . Just read an article on that . Looking at that for next project

Comment

• SightedIn
              Warrior
              • Jun 2016

Even if physically possible it would be too low velocity to do much with. Maybe SR plinking ammo

Comment

Working...
              X