X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lemonaid
    Warrior
    • Feb 2019

Aha! centerfire you have fallen for my trap! Look at Klem's chart on post #74 and look at vertical drop at 1K, the best SD load did not have the lowest drop, the load with the smallest group did. My point being that a smaller group size at 100 yards with worse velocity SD can out preform at 1000 yards one with better SD and a larger group at 100 yards.
    Was it a trick question? YES!
    But if I have understood Klem's results/posts correctly you better crunch the numbers before throwing out a very accurate load because it's SD's are not the best.
    (posted before I saw Klem's reply, but I think I got close )
    Last edited by Lemonaid; 06-26-2020, 02:42 AM. Reason: jumped the gun

Comment

• centerfire
      Warrior
      • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Lemonaid View Post
      Aha! centerfire you have fallen for my trap! Look at Klem's chart on post #74 and look at vertical drop at 1K, the best SD load did not have the lowest drop, the load with the smallest group did. My point being that a smaller group size at 100 yards with worse velocity SD can out preform at 1000 yards one with better SD and a larger group at 100 yards.
      Was it a trick question? YES!
      But if I have understood Klem's results/posts correctly you better crunch the number before throwing out a very accurate load because it's SD's are not the best.
      (posted before I saw Klem's reply, but I think I got close )
      I was talking about vertical dispersion between the fastest and slowest measured velocities in a sample, not the drop of the average group velocity. The difference in drop between the fastest and slowest measured velocity is the minimum vertical dispersion you'll see on the target at longer ranges. IE, vertical stringing...IE minimum mechanical accuracy of your ammunition at distance.

Comment

• Klem
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by centerfire View Post
        I was talking about vertical dispersion between the fastest and slowest measured velocities in a sample, not the drop of the average group velocity. The difference in drop between the fastest and slowest measured velocity is the minimum vertical dispersion you'll see on the target at longer ranges. IE, vertical stringing...IE minimum mechanical accuracy of your ammunition at distance.
        +1

I agree, the minimum vertical dispersion from velocity differences. This is something we should consider.

The cone of fire at 100yds in the recent test when extrapolated out is larger than the vertical velocity dispersion however. In reality it will likely be even greater. In this instance the target at 100 does more to reveal the likely group at 1,000 than just the velocities. In other situations and calibres however I can see a scenario where velocity differences will have more of an influence on group size at 1,000.

I am thinking it pays to do both; take the velocity and the 100yd results and see which has more of an influence on group size - then use that as a predictor.

Comment

Working...
        X