• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Cz varmint grendel pressure ladder

Lil pressure ladder data for y'all to check out.

Ran this yesterday

123 eld-m
    Cci450
    PPU 1x fired brass
    Ar-comp-ladder 25 to 28.8 in 2 tenth increases per charge at 1 round each

Coal-2.280
    Jump-25 thousands
    Contact-2.305

25-2380
    25.2-2401
    25.4-2411
    25.6-2415
    25.8-2437

26-2463
    26.2-2483
    26.4-2491
    26.6-2520
    26.8-2522

27-2558
    27.2-2565
    27.4-2583
    27.6-2600
    27.8-2603

28-2634
    28.2-2651
    28.4-2659
    28.6-2667
    28.8-2680

Noticed something once I got home about these data points. Hopefully y'all can see it as well.

Second test ladder from yesterday.

Starline-3x fired
    Cci450
    H4895- ladder from 25.5 to 29.4 in 3 tenth increases, 1 round per charge
    Coal-2.300
    Contact-2.380
    Jump-80 thousands

25.5-2333
    25.8-2346

26.1-2357
    26.4-2372
    26.7-2392

27-2422
    27.3-2428
    27.6-2441
    27.9-2460

28.2-2461
    28.5-2495
    28.8-2511

29.1-2515
    29.4-2532

Really likeing this ar-comp and h4895 in my bolt grendel.

Will be rerunning these ladders again next weekend and if they track the same, then I will sit down and load some rounds for group testing.
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Lol so nobody see's that the ar-comp 123 eld-m data shows a possible node in every charge range?

Comment

• Tex74
      Bloodstained
      • Dec 2018

I see the potential, especially at 26.6-26.8 and 27.6-27.8 is where I would reload , 26.7 and 27.7 and shoot for accuracy

Comment

• kmon
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2015

Just looked at it and see what you are talking about. First quick read tolm I would definitely try a load of AR comp at 27.7 and give it a try, I have had good luck trying a node indicated that way going smaller steps and find the one in the middle often is where to be.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by kmon View Post
          Just looked at it and see what you are talking about. First quick read tolm I would definitely try a load of AR comp at 27.7 and give it a try, I have had good luck trying a node indicated that way going smaller steps and find the one in the middle often is where to be.
          Yea I intend to rerun this ladder again, just to be sure it wasn't a fluke.

I typically find the flat area in speed and then bracket it with 10 rounds at each charge.

Five for a group and five for the velocity data.

Then I pick the one with the best sd and es and try some 5 shot groups at diffrent seating depths.

Just thought it strange that it showed so many potential accuracy nods. Never heard or seen it have more then 2 nods before.

Comment

• Bobke
            Warrior
            • Dec 2015

Really liking ARC. See that you’re running PPU brass for one ladder, Starline on other. Thought about running a limited string of ARC in the Starline to reconfirm data points? Have seen POI changes when moving between Lapua and Hornady brass, given about 6-7 grains difference in case weights. Continuing interest in your results.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Bobke View Post
              Really liking ARC. See that you’re running PPU brass for one ladder, Starline on other. Thought about running a limited string of ARC in the Starline to reconfirm data points? Have seen POI changes when moving between Lapua and Hornady brass, given about 6-7 grains difference in case weights. Continuing interest in your results.
              Yea I use the Starline and PPU brass for my bolt action only.

And I don't move the load between brass. If it's worked up on PPU that's the only brass it's fired from, if it's worked up on Starline that's the only brass it's fired from.

In my bolt grendel I use the Starline for the heavy bullets and the PPU for the 123 grain and lighter weight bullets.

Comment

• garyrapp55
                Warrior
                • Aug 2019

A5Blaster, I know it's still early as there are only 2 fires on your PPU brass but do you have any insight/opinion to share about reloading it? From your similar thread about it, I gather the volume/case capacity is less than Hornady. Did you see any pressure signs because of this?

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2015

Originally posted by garyrapp55 View Post
                  A5Blaster, I know it's still early as there are only 2 fires on your PPU brass but do you have any insight/opinion to share about reloading it? From your similar thread about it, I gather the volume/case capacity is less than Hornady. Did you see any pressure signs because of this?
                  Still gathering Intel on it. Will wait till I have atleast 5 firings on it before I give my full thoughts on it.

I will say this. That string above with the 123 eld-m and ar-comp showed zero pressure signs. But remember this is in a bolt action and not a ar grendel.

In the AR grendel that load is probably HOT but in my CZ it was very well mannered and behaved.

That's anouther reason I want to rerun that ladder again.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2015

So more data for you gents to chew on.

Did some more testing with the above listed loads, Saturday reran the ladders and everything tracked as expected except for one thing.

The h4895 ladder was exactly 100 fps faster for every charge then last weekend. So stopped and ran some factory ammo to make sure something wasn't going haywire with my magneto speed. All factory ammo checked out and so did the ladder test with the ar-comp. So I proceeded slowly and couldn't find anything pressure wise out of line other then the fact the h4895 loads tracked exactly 100 fps faster for each charge then it had the weekend before.

Here is the data from groups I shot Sunday. Loaded 10 shots at each charge. 5 for velocity and 5 for a testing group.

All groups were shot on cold bore. Didn't take pics, will be shooting groups again this weekend at my chosen loads with diffrent seating depths to finalize my loads.

Brass-ppu 2x fired
                    Cci450
                    123 eld-m
                    Coal-2.280

Avr-2614
                    Hi-2622
                    Lo-2605
                    Sd-6
                    Es-17

Avr-2625
                    Hi-2633
                    Lo-2615
                    Sd-7
                    Es-18
                    This load grouped 5 shots at 1/2 at 200 yards. Planing on calling it good and stacking this deep.

Avr-2663
                    Hi-2674
                    Lo-2645
                    Sd-12
                    Es-29

Avr-2683
                    Hi-2697
                    Lo-2672
                    Sd-9
                    Es-25

Avr-2693
                    Hi-2707
                    Lo-2683
                    Sd-10
                    Es-24 this load showed the only pressure signs I have seen yet. It had a very slight extractor mark.

Next up is the 129 ablr h4895 load.

Brass-starline 4x fired
                    Cci450
                    129ablr
                    Coal-2.300

Avr-2611
                    Hi-2628
                    Lo-2598
                    Sd-12
                    Es-30

Avr-2625
                    Hi-2647
                    Lo-2609
                    Sd-13
                    Es-38

Avr-2620
                    Hi-2628
                    Lo-2614
                    Sd-5
                    Es-14

Avr-2628
                    Hi-2634
                    Lo-2626
                    Sd-3
                    Es-8. Shot 5 rounds at 1 1/4 at 200 yards, going to try a seating length change

Avr-2636
                    Hi-2644
                    Lo-2630
                    Sd-7
                    Es-14 shot a 1 1/4 5 shot group as well.

None of the h4895 rounds showed any signs of pressure.

The highest charges of both loads are compressed and these loads are over sammi max pressure even though they don't show the signs on the brass.

These loads are safe in my rifles and only bolt action rifles, do not attempt in a ar15 grendel.

Comment

• grayfox
                      Chieftain
                      • Jan 2017

I may have to try some of the h4895 in my RAP. Would be using Hdy brass though; having a longer coal I think will help in good feeding to the chamber...
                      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2015

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                        I may have to try some of the h4895 in my RAP. Would be using Hdy brass though; having a longer coal I think will help in good feeding to the chamber...
                        I'm really liking the h4895. Wish the CZ mags had the room the howa mags have. CZ mags max out at 2.315ish.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2015

So just back from the range. Took my 27.8 load with the 123 eld-m and ran with it.

Shot it at 200,300,400 and 500 yard steel just having a blast, figuring out holdoffs for the wind.

We have a big storm system hitting here later today, so the wind was up way past 10 miles an hour and very unpredictable.

Then I decided to do something very crazy, took that load and decided to try for some groups at 600 yards.

Can't get the pic from the first group to size down enough but here is the pic from my second try.

I went down and got a pic of my first four round group. Had fired 6 rounds during that first attempt and ended up with a 4 round 3 1/4 vertical and bout 1 1/4 horizontal group.

So I went back to the bench and shot 10 rounds on my second attempt. I admit I jacked up a few shots and the wind had changed between groups and I was failing to see that. Got down to 4 rounds leavt and stopped and gave myself some time to settle into a good position and get a better feel for the wind at 600.

The pic shows my last 4 shots.

Ppu brass-4xfired now
                          Cci450
                          123 eld-m
                          Ar-comp-27.8
                          Coal of 2.280

Will have to retry this again when the weather and wind is more stable. But overall I'm happy with it.

Even more so since that's the first time I ever tryed to shoot a bonifed group on paper at 600 yards.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• LRRPF52
                            Super Moderator
                            • Sep 2014

So this new PPU Small Rifle Primer brass is holding up well at 4x fired?

Can you take some good close-up macro shots of the 4x fired brass before it's de-primed?

That's good news you're getting these kinds of results with it, and the accuracy is looking like 1/3 MOA or less for that 4rd group, provided there aren't any other rounds outside of that.

Are you double-seating with a turn for concentricity during your seating process?
                            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                              So this new PPU Small Rifle Primer brass is holding up well at 4x fired?

Can you take some good close-up macro shots of the 4x fired brass before it's de-primed?

That's good news you're getting these kinds of results with it, and the accuracy is looking like 1/3 MOA or less for that 4rd group, provided there aren't any other rounds outside of that.

Are you double-seating with a turn for concentricity during your seating process?
                              Yea it's holding very well.

Once I have 5 firings on it I will give my full thoughts on the brass.

Yep I double seat everything.

Yea there is rounds outside of that group but they were fired before had. That 4 round group was my last 4 rounds of the day. I had to stop and reevaluate the wind, once I had it figured out I layed down that 4 round group.

These average just over 2600 from this barrel, no pressure signs on the brass are the primer, case messurments have shown no out of line are abnormal swelling at the web are strange growth of the case length.

I'm sure it's over sammi max but it has been a very well mannered load. Sd and es could be a lil better but for a cheap plinking load and backup hunting load. I'm pleased with it.

The real sweetheart load is the 129 ablr and h4895 load but I'm not finished fine tuneing it yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X