X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • White Smoke
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2019

I was re-reading the posts and just want to blast in on a couple of previous suggestions about keeping a log. That is a MUST DO! Get yourself a notebook if you haven't done so already and start writing down the various loads and how they do. The cases should all be trimmed to the same length so that's a given, but what primer you use, what powder, what bullet, the COAL, etc. can all vary. Pick a primer and a bullet and then pick several different powders as suggested by the bullet manufacturer. Work up loads for each powder. Just a suggestion that I find very easy is to take Ziplock snack size baggies and put your different loads in them. Write the load on the baggie (first) with a marker pen. For example, as a general rule, I shoot four-round groups at half-grain increments when first working up a load. The load I just shot today was using a Speer 90 grain TNT bullet and H335 powder. I had 8 snack baggies with four rounds in each baggie marked from 28.5 grains to 32.0 grains in half-grain increments. The 31.5-grain load gave me a 0.47" group at 100 yards. Now that's pretty good, but I'm still going to play with seating depth just for the hell of it. Right now, my COAL is 2.20" per the book. My finished COAL is yet to be determined. It's all marked down in my log so I can refer back to it at any time. I don't leave anything to a (rapidly failing) memory. I still have books dating back to the mid-50's when I first started loading for a 38 Special.

Comment

• MegaHurtz
      Bloodstained
      • Oct 2019

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
      ... We found QuickLoad to be off by 10,000-20,000psi in many instances, compared against multiple industry sources and our own calibrated pressure-test breech, so unless it has been updated and tuned to actual 6.5 Grendel reality, I wouldn't use it right now. The load data you have in the Grendel Handbooks is quite comprehensive. I used QuickLoad when I loaded .308 Winchester without any issues, but it has been way off with Grendel. ...
      This tidbit of info had been nagging on me quite a bit (about your experience with QL being off in a Grendel context). While researching various load workup methodologies (Ladder, OBT, OCW, etc.), I stumbled across this white-paper that speaks to tuning QL to be more accurate wrt observed chrony results. I've attached it herein in the interests of science and for archival/retrieval purposes.

And, for those who may be interested, the three methods I've found thus far are listed below and can be researched further at these links:

Again, for archival/retrieval purposes, I am attaching a snap-shot of the info at those pages, in case they go away for any reason. If I come across other, what I perceive to be worthwhile Load Development Methods (LDMs), I'll add them here.

Do the listed LDMs currently exist in this forum (i.e. a stickied post)? If not, does it make sense for the LDMs to be stickied for the benefit of easy access by all?

-MHz
      Attached Files
      Last edited by MegaHurtz; 03-12-2020, 03:25 PM.
      si vis pacem para bellum

Comment

• MegaHurtz
        Bloodstained
        • Oct 2019

Originally posted by White Smoke View Post
        ... keeping a log. That is a MUST DO! ...
        I read you Five by Five. Thanks!

-MHz
        si vis pacem para bellum

Comment

• Constitutionalist
          Warrior
          • Nov 2016

Wow! I reload 6 pistol calibers, 4 shotgun gauges, and 14 rifle calibers. Other than dies you have more stuff than I do.

Be careful! Reloading is addictive!

Comment

Working...
          X