• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PA452
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2018

Hunting Bullets - Deer/Medium-Sized Game

What hunting bullets do you like for your Grendels?

I'm loading for a CZ 527 with 1:8 twist, 16.5" barrel and another CZ 527 Custom Grendel with 1:8.5 twist. I've been shooting 100gr bullets primarily. I went through a number of different bullets over the years, but had a hard time finding something that was both shooting well and giving me good terminal ballistics. In my custom Grendel, I had excellent accuracy results with 107gr Sierra SMKs and maybe even better results with 100gr AMAX, neither of which are hunting bullets though.

Two or three years ago I started using Nosler 100gr Ballistic Tips that seem to fit the bill. I've had some excellent accuracy results out of both rifles with these bullets, and I've had good effectiveness on game from deer to fox.

I'm thinking I might like to move up to a larger bullet just to get a little better trajectory past 200 yards. I've been thinking I'm going to try the same bullet, Nosler BTs, just move it up to 120gr. But thought I'd ask here for other suggestions.

Thanks!
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

I try to only use bonded and copper bullets now. I try to only take cns shots in the high shoulder/spine so I don't want a normal bullet leaving lead spray in the meat.

My fav hunting bullets in the grendel are 85 trex, 120 federal fusion, 120 gold dot, 127 LRX and 129 ablr

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

In addition to what A5BLASTER recommended, you might also consider the 90gr TNT and 100gr Barnes TTSX or TAC-TX if you like the 100gr class of bullets already.

Double Naught Spy has had some great results on hogs with the 90gr TNT.

Your trajectory will be flatter with the lighter bullets of course, not that it matters a whole lot within 200yds.

120gr NBTs have been a great hunting bullet in 6.5 Grendel, but you can shoot the 123gr SST for about half the price normally, and the 123gr SST is the most common hunting bullet for 6.5 Grendel.

But again, if you're already having great results with 100gr in your rifles, I think I would look at all the 85gr, 90gr, and 100gr bullets.

On the 100gr A-MAX (now replaced by the ELD-M): While they aren't meant as hunting bullets, they perform well in that role due to the polymer tip initiating rapid expansion on medium game.

One consideration for shooting them out to 200yds is the penetration you will get, which is where a heavier bullet might come into play on medium game, but a solid bullet will penetrate way outside of its weight class since they normally don't shed more than 1% weight.

There is a very detailed set of data and discussion on these topics in the 6.5 Grendel Handbooks, including expansion testing of various cup and core and solid bullets across the velocity spectrum, with tons of load data ranging from 85gr up to 156gr.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• kmon
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2015

Good advice above from LR and A5. I know people that se the 100ge and 120gr BT with good results in their Grendel, 6.5 Creed and 260 Remingtons. The bullet I have gone to in the Grendel is one A5 suggested 129gr ABLR, That bullet expands and penetrants well and with the high BC does not like to slow down. My load for it has more energy at 400 yards than factory 243 ammo.

My 527 is a "custom" 8.4 twist 22 inch barrel and it loves the ABLR and 130gr Berger AR hybrid.

Comment

• PA452
          Bloodstained
          • Mar 2018

Thanks for the quick responses guys.

Around here and in the places I hunt, shots past 300 yards are pretty rare. I'd say the majority of my shots are inside of 200 yards, but naturally I'd like to be prepared for that longer range opportunity. That's largely why I'm looking at 120grs. I do like the 100gr bullets, but if I was going to stay in that weight range I think I'd just stick with the Nosler BTs. They're working well and I'm getting good accuracy results. My thought was just that maybe I should move to a larger bullet.

On the Barnes TTSX bullet, I actually did hunt a couple years with 100gr TTSX bullets but didn't care for them. I think I only ever shot one deer with a TTSX and it seemed to really mess up a lot of meat, but maybe it was just a fluke or shot placement because I know a lot of people love them. Still, I never had results quite like that before. My bigger issue with them was they wouldn't expand if used on smaller game. I used them with a fox once because that's what I had in the gun; they were blowing through it like a laser. No expansion at all, it kept getting back up and trying to run. I hit it three times before it seemed it was going to stop.

So I guess I'm looking to maintain versatility too. One bullet that will work on something as small as a fox or a groundhog or raccoon, up to an eastern whitetail.

Also, good to know on the AMAX being replaced by the ELD-M. I haven't bought match bullets in years now. I liked the 100gr AMAX and at one point bought up a bunch of them. I bet I still have 500+.
          Last edited by PA452; 02-05-2020, 04:41 AM.

Comment

• 1Shot
            Warrior
            • Feb 2018

The 120 Nosler BT is a great bullet which I have killed a good number of deer with out of a 6.5x55 from point blank to a little over 500 yards with great success. I have not used it in the 6.5 Grendel. One bullet that I have used in my Grendel on deer is the 120 Speer Gold Dot and it is an AWESOME bullet. It is a very accurate bullet and cost less than the BTs. The BT may fly a little better past 300 yards but for your stated under 300 yards you would not know any difference between them. Just back off any known load with 120 gr bullets and work back up slowly because you will reach pressure quicker with the Gold Dot but velocity will usually be about the same as bullets needing more powder to achieve.

Comment

• Harpoon1
              Chieftain
              • Dec 2017

Double Naught Spy has had some great results on hogs with the 90gr TNT..........
              I would seriously consider the 90 TNT. I blew it off early as “too light” for Hogs. Then I started seeing all the success DNS has had with it, man was I ever wrong!

On top that, it’s inexpensive and plentiful, at least for reloading. Turns out just about everything I own likes the “TNT” for it’s caliber. 223, 243, 6.5 Grendel & Creedmoor, 7mm-08, 308, 7.62x39........they all like the “TNT’s”!

Get some!

Comment

• Daveycrockett
                Bloodstained
                • Dec 2019

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
                I try to only use bonded and copper bullets now. I try to only take cns shots in the high shoulder/spine so I don't want a normal bullet leaving lead spray in the meat.

My fav hunting bullets in the grendel are 85 trex, 120 federal fusion, 120 gold dot, 127 LRX and 129 ablr
                A5 the 120 gold dot...what do you shoot that in and what powder? I have a ladder loaded with those and 8208 now waiting for a good day to try out my new magneto.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Daveycrockett View Post
                  A5 the 120 gold dot...what do you shoot that in and what powder? I have a ladder loaded with those and 8208 now waiting for a good day to try out my new magneto.
                  Ar-comp. I won't use 8208. I shoot that bullet from all 3 of my grendels. My CZ grendel varmint, a 16 inch and 12.5 ar grendel.

It will be my primary hog/deer/defense bullet from the 16 inch.

It will be a secondary hog/deer/defense bullet to the 85 trex and wolf fmj from my 12.5 inch.

It will be a secondary back up deer/hog load for my CZ grendel with its 25.5 inch barrel. Haven't decided on the powder for this load yet, it's between ar-comp and varget.

Comment

• arizona98tj
                    Bloodstained
                    • Feb 2013

Originally posted by PA452 View Post

Two or three years ago I started using Nosler 100gr Ballistic Tips that seem to fit the bill. I've had some excellent accuracy results out of both rifles with these bullets, and I've had good effectiveness on game from deer to fox.

I'm thinking I might like to move up to a larger bullet just to get a little better trajectory past 200 yards. I've been thinking I'm going to try the same bullet, Nosler BTs, just move it up to 120gr. But thought I'd ask here for other suggestions.
                    Since retiring and moving back to where I grew up in northern MN, I've been able to enjoy whitetail hunting again. I left my .30 cal rifles in the gun safe and decided my 6.5 Grendel AR would be my goto for deer hunting. With 4 seasons behind me and 2 deer per season, I do not regret my choice. I'm using Nosler 120gr BT over a charge of BLC-2. 5 shot groups are better than 1MOA. I like BLC-3 because of the good results I've had over a wide temp spread. I developed the load while living in the hot desert of Arizona and hunt with the same load with snow on the ground here on the homestead.

Most deer are taken between 75 and 175 yds. With the exception of one deer that dropped where it stood (CNS shot), all the others went no further than 50 yds and all were one-shot kills in the vitals. Only one bullet was a pass through and another stopped just under the skin on the exit side. All others stayed in the lungs. Meat damage around the entrance hole is virtually nonexistent. If I ever run out of the 120gr BTs, I might try Nosler's Partition bullet....just to mix it up! LOL!
                    Last edited by arizona98tj; 02-07-2020, 07:21 PM.

Comment

• PA452
                      Bloodstained
                      • Mar 2018

Originally posted by arizona98tj View Post
                      Since retiring and moving back to where I grew up in northern MN, I've been able to enjoy whitetail hunting again. I left my .30 cal rifles in the gun safe and decided my 6.5 Grendel AR would be my goto for deer hunting. With 4 seasons behind me and 2 deer per season, I do not regret my choice. I'm using Nosler 120gr BT over a charge of BLC-2. 5 shot groups are better than 1MOA. I like BLC-3 because of the good results I've had over a wide temp spread. I developed the load while living in the hot desert of Arizona and hunt with the same load with snow on the ground here on the homestead.

Most deer are taken between 75 and 175 yds. With the exception of one deer that dropped where it stood (CNS shot), all the others went no further than 50 yds and all were one-shot kills in the vitals. Only one bullet was a pass through and another stopped just under the skin on the exit side. All others stayed in the lungs. Meat damage around the entrance hole is virtually nonexistent. If I ever run out of the 120gr BTs, I might try Nosler's Partition bullet....just to mix it up! LOL!
                      Thanks for the reply, sounds promising.

On the Partitions, maybe you'd have different results, but I tried them early on with my first Grendel and I just couldn't get the kind of accuracy I wanted. Don't remember now if I ever hunted with them; don't think I did.

Comment

• PA452
                        Bloodstained
                        • Mar 2018

Thanks for the replies everyone. Good info, and after all that, I've decided to either just stick with the Nosler 100gr BTs or move to the 120gr BTs. Not sure which yet.

Comment

• FLshooter
                          Chieftain
                          • Jun 2019

I use 125g TNT in my 300 BO for hogs.Tried 90g TNT in my 6.5 Grendel on some FL hogs recently and it knocks em dead.But if I were hunting deer, I would go with 129 grain SST w/H335 powder. I had gotten a couple hundred rounds on a good deal while back and loaded them up for target shooting.Did sub MOA in my AR Grendel. I wouldn’t hesitate to try it in a bolt gun.

Comment

Working...
                          X