Just out of curiosity, Grendel barrier penetration?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • burnsy13
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2017

Just out of curiosity, Grendel barrier penetration?

With the lower velocity common with the 6.5 Grendel, was just wondering if there were any rounds that were very effective for barrier penetration?

Bored at work wasting time, popped into my head.
  • 1Shot
    Warrior
    • Feb 2018

120 Speer Gold Dot was designed to meet FBI barrier penetration standards I am told. I do know that it will penetrate at least 20" of deer and exit leaving a thumb side hole and left DISTRUCTION behind it. Shot a deer at 111 yards facing me in the chest and bullet exited the belly after penetrating at least 20" from a downward shot angle from a shooting house. Turned the chest cavity into chunky soup. From 20" AR 2550 fps Muzzle Velocity.

Any of the Mono bullets should give you good penetration.

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Penetration in barriers is dependent on bullet construction, energy/velocity and bullet diameter. The Monolithic bullets like Barnes 100 grain TTSX, 115 grain Tac TX or 120 grain TSX should perform well in the 6.5 Grendel. The bonded core bullets should perform well depending on weight, velocity/energy. The best performing bonded bullet will generally have the most foot pounds of energy as the construction should be similar between bullet weights. The best performing cup and core bullets will be the partitions with the best penetrating bullet having the most energy. The traditional cup and core or polymer tipped bullet with the most energy should perform the best as long as there is enough mass to use the available energy.

If your not concerned with perforating the target in a SD load but want barrier blind penetration I think a monolithic bullet like the 100 grain TTSX or 120 grain Fusion/Gold Dot would prove effective. I was surprised how much wood a 85 grain SV, 90 grain TNT and 95 grain V-Max penetrated. The specific material being tested causes different results depending on bullet design and energy. Laminated auto glass is very destructive on bullets and is a good test medium. The Monolithic and bonded core bullets perform very well on laminated auto glass.

One surprising thing to me was watching a test on laminated auto glass with 22 Long rifle standard velocity 40 grain round nose bullets. CCI standard velocity easily penetrated the glass and had significant mass and accuracy after penetration. The material structure of the bullet at the sub sonic velocity tended to penetrate glass effectively. The lead bullets tended to act like a drill bit and didn’t shred like higher velocity projectiles with a lot more energy.

The only way to know for sure how a bullet/cartridge will perform in a particular barrier is to test it.

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

There has been Grendel EPR ammunition for years now.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Bronz
          Bloodstained
          • Sep 2018

Didn’t Alex Arms make some steel core for testing awhile back

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• MasterChief
              Unwashed
              • May 2019

I just recently purchased a Molot Vepr 6.5 Grendel. Great looking and well built gun but I have No ammo for it yet. I have plenty of hunting guns so my 6.5 Grendel will be for when SHTF. The ammo I am looking to buy needs to have great penetration....no real need for bullet expansion. Something on the line of a FMJ military

Comment

Working...
              X