• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • glk45
    Bloodstained
    • Aug 2018

Cfe 223

My accuracy node with CFE 223 is at 31.6. I chrono'd that load today. I getting 2379 out of an 18" Tact. Ord. barrel. ES is 27 and SD 11.2. This load is 1/2 MOA at 200 yds. I guess i'm asking about the guys saying they are getting 2500/2550 out of 18" and 20" barrels using a similar load using CFE 223. Something doesn't add up to me. I'm getting 2435 with AA2520, but want to get away from using it. I was hoping to get closer to 2500 with CFE 223.
  • Bigs28
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2016

What weight bullet?

Comment

• glk45
      Bloodstained
      • Aug 2018

Oops 123 sst

Comment

• kmon
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2015

That does sound slow for that load.

Comment

• grayfox
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2017

Definitely slow. About 100 ft/s off from what I'd expect. 'Course every barrel is different.
          What brass and primer are you using? We really need more info to be able to comment on this.

Have you checked your scales against check weights, is there something going on w/ the chrony, ...?

Do you have some other load data that would give us an idea on how fast or slow your barrel is...

Also, I guess it could be the lot of that CFE but it sounds 'way too slow to be just that.

Ok, just by chance........... are you shooting 129's by mistake? I know it sounds stupid but that's about what a 129 would give you, MV-wise.
          "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• trdjohn
            Bloodstained
            • Feb 2019

this was shot indoors, around 70 deg F, 18" criterion 65Grendel with 123 Nosler Custom Comps, Hornady brass, #41 primers...pretty much matched velocities expected by Hornady 10th manual (their data is with 18" barrel)...they say CFE223 is temp sensitive, you in northern MN or deep south Florida?

123CC-CFE223.JPG

Comment

• Bigs28
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2016

Might be the chrono? Have access to another to try?

Comment

• glk45
                Bloodstained
                • Aug 2018

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                Definitely slow. About 100 ft/s off from what I'd expect. 'Course every barrel is different.
                What brass and primer are you using? We really need more info to be able to comment on this.

Have you checked your scales against check weights, is there something going on w/ the chrony, ...?

Do you have some other load data that would give us an idea on how fast or slow your barrel is...

Also, I guess it could be the lot of that CFE but it sounds 'way too slow to be just that.

Ok, just by chance........... are you shooting 129's by mistake? I know it sounds stupid but that's about what a 129 would give you, MV-wise.
                Scales is right on. Horn. Custom ammo 123SST 2450 FPS , H4895 27.4 2273,,, ARC 27.1 2322 , AA 2520 2435, CCI 450 Horn. brass Dont have anything heavier than the 123"s

Comment

• glk45
                  Bloodstained
                  • Aug 2018

It's not the chrono. My CED had an av of 2379 fps. My friends Shooting Chrony showed 2397 av. fps.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2015

Originally posted by glk45 View Post
                    It's not the chrono. My CED had an av of 2379 fps. My friends Shooting Chrony showed 2397 av. fps.
                    Sounds like your barrel might be a turd. Do you have are do you know someone with same length grendel barrel that you can try your load in?

That will tell you if your barrel is just super slow.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

How close is the chronograph to the muzzle when taking these measurements?

With any of the 16"-18" Grendels I've tested, including the 4 that I currently own, 31.6gr of CFE223 under a 123gr SST would give me anywhere from 2450-2520fps.
                      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• drykilned
                        Bloodstained
                        • Mar 2018

Getting 2379-2412 FPS 31.0 grains CFE223, CCI450 primers, 123SST bullet seated to middle of cannelure, lee factory crimp. Rifle is home built Anderson lower with 3# velocity trigger. Upper Anderson receiver BCA 18" SS HBAR straight fluted barrel, BCA bcg type II. .75 to 1 MOA at 100 yards with bipod and beanbag rear support. Nikon 3x9-40 Prostaff BDC PR31 scope. My backup hunting load is 2350-2363 FPS with 28.5 grains of RL 15. All else is same as primary load. Using 5 round C Products Defense 6.5 grendel mag.

Comment

• drykilned
                          Bloodstained
                          • Mar 2018

My accuracy went to hell when I got above 31.0 of CFE223!!!

Comment

• drykilned
                            Bloodstained
                            • Mar 2018

LRRFP, my chrono is always exactly 10 feet from muzzle.

Comment

• FLshooter
                              Chieftain
                              • Jun 2019

If I read correctly you said you were getting half inch MOA at 200 yards ,which means 1 inch groups. why would you even care about the velocity?
                              I would double check it with another chrono. but if that?s what it is and you?re getting that accuracy ,who cares?
                              Last edited by FLshooter; 02-18-2020, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X