Clear All
  • DesertEngineer
    Unwashed
    • Feb 2020

129gn accubond Lr load data

• imaguy3
    Warrior
    • Mar 2018

I'm no expert, but I'll share my opinion and experience.

First off what velocity are you getting with your 20" barrel?

I originally looked hard at the 129gr ablr due to the very reasons you did. I quickly found price per bullet and availability to be prohibitive to me. I ended up going the 123gr SST route with IMR8208XBR powder. People warn against it for use with the 129 so that's up to you.

I use my grendel out to 500 for Coues deer, if you're hunting Wyoming I assume antelope or mule deer. I have a 16" barrel and am getting 2410fps with 123gr sst. I wanted a temp. sensitive powder b/c where I live temps will go from 20's in winter to 110 in summer. I checked temp. sensitivity on my load with two 10 shot groups, one at 45*f and one at 75*. It resulted in identical average velocities of 2410fps.

Using this method of load development was quick and easy. https://www.65guys.com/10-round-load...t-ladder-test/
    Last edited by imaguy3; 03-06-2020, 06:25 PM.

Comment

• jason miller
      Warrior
      • Dec 2016

AR Comp is my go-to powder with that bullet. It has shown itself to be very temperature stable in the one test I did with it, and provides great accuracy/velocity.

Comment

• grayfox
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2017

I thought about using an Ablr in my 20" howa for an elk hunt (Colo) couple of years ago... but honestly for 200-250 and under you'd be well-served by staying with the 123 class. I was using CFE223 and got about 2460 ft/s out of the 20" bolt gun for the Ablr (never took a shot on that hunt however... bummer!)...
        But CFE does have some real temp variability.

In the 123 class you can look at AR Comp and 8208xbr (as mentioned this one can get quick-appearing pressure spikes so be careful), 123 sst, 120 gold dot, maybe couple of others... should be gtg out to 250 at your altitudes.
        1Shot gets 2550 MV for his gold dots in TN. Other 123 class should be 2480-2525 or so MV.

Another one to think about is the 100 gr ttsx from Barnes, you'd be looking at an MV of ~2700 from a 20" and range out to 250-275 yds, still with enough V for mushrooming.
        I know there are better shooters on here but I'd limit myself to this range with my Grrrs, for longer I might use my 6.5 CM or even my 6mmCM.
        "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• 1Shot
          Warrior
          • Feb 2018

Get you some IMR 8208 and 120 Speer Gold Dots. I found that I could go considerable higher with the powder charge than the Speer data says. They are WAY conservative with their load data with all powders listed except Power Pro Varmint which looks like they are pushing that powder in their load data. This is what I am shooting in MY rifle. My rifle has a 20" Bear Creek Arsenal barrel. Hornady case, CCI 450 primer, 28.0 grs IMR 8208 with a COAL 2.275 which is too long to work through Elander mags but does fine from ACS/ArStoner mags. I average 2550 fps and sub MOA accuracy. I also use a medium Lee Factory Crimp. You MUST drop back at least 10% and work up SLOWLY. .2 grs at a time is my suggestion. The above load is a MAX load for me. The Gold Dot bullet did awesomely on the one deer I have been able to shot with it. Out of my 18" rifle it does an average 2500 fps. I have not tried any other powder with this bullet because I found what I was look for with IMR 8208.

Comment

Working...
          X