• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FloorPoor
    Bloodstained
    • Feb 2020

Home rolled hunting ammo questions.

I've been looking at A LOT of reloading data for the 6.5 Grendel.

My Grendel is a 22" Howa mini. I found a great deal on Hornady cases (.40 each for 200) and 123gr SST's (.18 each for a batch of 500). I haven't even fired it yet, I'm waiting for the rings I ordered to arrive. I am really hoping I can get this bullet to shoot well in this barrel. If not, I'll have a bunch for sale, lol. I have a couple of boxes of Hornady factory ammo that I will use for barrel break in, and to establish base line velocity data.

I'm about to begin load development, and I am wondering if 2600+, with acceptable hunting accuracy (preferably sub m.o.a., as tiny groups are a great confidence booster) is a safe, achievable goal for this rifle/bullet combo? I've seen max loads posted using LVR/CFE 223 that suggest that this is possible, but none of the data included accuracy results. I know that I can safely run higher pressures with a bolt action than I can with an AR, but how much will accuracy/brass life suffer?

I plan on using this Howa mini to replace my HEAVY old Ruger M77 7rem mag as the primary deer/antelope rifle that I've been using for the last 20+ years. It kills deer like they were struck by lightning with 139gr. Interlocks, and it shoots them moa or under, but after realizing that the majority of my shots have been 200yds or less, I decided I don't need to carry that extra weight, burn loads of powder, or deal with the heavy recoil. And that load WRECKS meat. Too many shoulders have been pulverized. You can't smoke a whole deer shoulder if it has a fist sized hole through it, and the rest is bloodshot to hell.
    When hunting big game, I set a limit of about 300yrds. If the shot is too long, I stalk closer. Only perfect conditions and a HUGE buck will have me attempt a shot much farther, and only if the terrain prevents me from getting closer. At that range I don't have to calculate much bullet drop or windage. I only squeeze the trigger when I'm confident of a clean kill.
    The Grendel carries enough energy and velocity at that range, and shoots reasonably flat. Combined with the SST, I expect decent results. I AM working on a 162gr load for my old Ruger that I will still use for Elk. I need to kill a few deer with the little Grendel before I trust it for Elk. Elk are tough critters.

I'm not a major tinkerer when it come to reloading. I like to find one load, with an adequate bullet for the task, that shoots well enough, and load a supply. I do my tinkering up front, then leave it alone.

My concerns are temp sensitivity with loads on the hot side, and reliable accuracy. I want to load bulk.

Where I hunt in Idaho, at 6-9k ft above sea level, it can sometimes be 0 degrees before the sun comes up, and 65 degrees in the afternoon during the rifle deer season in October.

Any insights or suggestions would be very welcome. Thanks for reading.
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

If your barrel likes the 123 sst, then it's a good candidate for your trips. I wouldn't count on 2600 but 2500-2550 is doable, again however it completely depends on the barrel, and each one is unique. Handloads I'd recommend are your best bet, but there is a Hornady Custom, 123sst that you should at least try; sometimes it runs great in a rifle.
    Get a simple ballistics program, there are many, I use PointBlank (PC) and iStrelok (free on the ipad).
    At those altitudes for a good shooter you've got plenty of knockdown out to 300 yds.
    I "only" averaged 2525 from my Howa (20") when I had it, as far as accurate hand loads. Finding the node for accuracy is much better than just plain raw speed, so you have accuracy.
    Some guys even do the 129 Nosler Ablr, others have the 120 gr Nosler BT, then 120 gr Speer gold dot... even the 100 gr Barnes ttsx can reach out 250 yds or so...
    Also factory round, is a 115 Tac-Tx from Barnes, this one is new and may be a possibility for you...

Couple of screen shots of Point Blank app:
    123 sst, 6000 elev.
    123sst.jpg

100 Ttsx, 6000 elev.:
    100Ttsx.jpg
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

One more thing: if you don't have a decent chrony, get one. Can't find your nodes very well without it. It is indispensable for handloading IMO.
      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• tdbru
        Warrior
        • Dec 2019

Floorpoor,

benchmark and H4895 are relatively temp insensitive and have a burn rate somewhat in line with the 6.5 Grendel. 8208 has a lot of fans for relative temperature insensitivity and useful performance out of the Grendel. APPV seems to give great velocities, but is not as temp stable as many other choices. lots of folks like AR-Comp but i haven't tried that yet.

i've got the same 22" mini howa and will be bedding it in a B&C mini howa sporter this week. then doing more load development checking.

the bullet you use has gotten mostly favorable reviews as terminal performance goes. seems rifles either shoot them well or not at all. haven't seen much in-between as far as accuracy reports.

due to the magazine dropping out at inappropriate times, as soon as HPK gets his bottom metal ready i'm going to order a set for my rig and test it out. I think oregon gun smithing already has a setup like that out in the market.

i do like the low rifle weight and modest recoil of the 6.5 Grendel in the mini howa.

another option, since you reload, is to use a relatively fast powder that works well at lower loading densities, like H4895, and simply download your 7mm Rem Mag to, say, 7m-08 or 7x57 levels using a lighter (120ish gr.) bullet for a lot less pulverized shoulders. of course that doesn't get around rifle weight, that will be still as heavy to haul around, but the recoil will be much less and you shouldn't have such bloodshot meat.

of course the 6.5 Grendel option is way cool. and light weight. and modest recoil.

-tdbru

Comment

• FloorPoor
          Bloodstained
          • Feb 2020

Originally posted by tdbru View Post
          Floorpoor,

benchmark and H4895 are relatively temp insensitive and have a burn rate somewhat in line with the 6.5 Grendel. 8208 has a lot of fans for relative temperature insensitivity and useful performance out of the Grendel. APPV seems to give great velocities, but is not as temp stable as many other choices. lots of folks like AR-Comp but i haven't tried that yet.

i've got the same 22" mini howa and will be bedding it in a B&C mini howa sporter this week. then doing more load development checking.

the bullet you use has gotten mostly favorable reviews as terminal performance goes. seems rifles either shoot them well or not at all. haven't seen much in-between as far as accuracy reports.

due to the magazine dropping out at inappropriate times, as soon as HPK gets his bottom metal ready i'm going to order a set for my rig and test it out. I think oregon gun smithing already has a setup like that out in the market.

i do like the low rifle weight and modest recoil of the 6.5 Grendel in the mini howa.

another option, since you reload, is to use a relatively fast powder that works well at lower loading densities, like H4895, and simply download your 7mm Rem Mag to, say, 7m-08 or 7x57 levels using a lighter (120ish gr.) bullet for a lot less pulverized shoulders. of course that doesn't get around rifle weight, that will be still as heavy to haul around, but the recoil will be much less and you shouldn't have such bloodshot meat.

of course the 6.5 Grendel option is way cool. and light weight. and modest recoil.

-tdbru
          I've shot a few deer with 139gr SST's in the 7 mag. They performed well, but seem to be very sensitive to seating depth. It took a lot more tinkering to get them to shoot well.

It's a good bullet for hunting, whether or not I can get it to shoot well remains to be seen.

Thanks for your input.

Comment

• Constitutionalist
            Warrior
            • Nov 2016

I'm getting 2540fps from a 20" AR with the 123SST, 27.0gr of IMR8208XBR and a CCI-450. My sample size is one large doe at 125yds but it was a bang flop with complete penetration, a good size exit hole and excellent terminal performance. I could probably go a little hotter but it shoots 1 MOA. IMO there's no need to push it and lose accuracy. You might even get close to 2600 with the longer barrel.

Have fun!

Comment

• FloorPoor
              Bloodstained
              • Feb 2020

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
              One more thing: if you don't have a decent chrony, get one. Can't find your nodes very well without it. It is indispensable for handloading IMO.
              I don't have a good chrony, but a friend of mine has an excellent one. He is very skilled at load development, and will be assisting me.

Comment

• Mitdr774
                Warrior
                • Jul 2019

My Howa mini 22" seems to really like a 123 SST and Benchmark combination at about 2500 FPS. If I ever find the target I will measure it, but 4 shots in a nice little cluster and the 5th about an inch away. I was really looking forward to an awesome group but the AR pistol to my left and AR SBR to my right firing at the same time as I was trying to screwed up the 5th shot.

Comment

Working...
                X