• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dinny
    Warrior
    • Jun 2016

Federal Terminal Ascent Bullets

Federal states their Slipstream polymer tip initiates expansion at low velocities. I ordered a box of their 130gr .264" bullets and hope to try them in a Grendel. Anyone have any thoughts or experiences with these bullets?

Shopping for the Terminal Ascent Component Bullet - Learn more about the latest Terminal Ascent Component Bullet and other hunting or shooting gear at Federal Ammunition.

Thanks, Dinny
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Yep, they open at 200 fps slower than comparable bullets. No clue as to what the comparable bullets are that they are comparing or what their velocities are supposed to be. If they intend this bullet for the 6.5 Creedmore, the 200 fps reduction isn't going to be much help.

This link says it will open between 1600 and 3200 fps. 1600 fps is in the realm of some of our hunting bullets already.
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
      Yep, they open at 200 fps slower than comparable bullets. No clue as to what the comparable bullets are that they are comparing or what their velocities are supposed to be. If they intend this bullet for the 6.5 Creedmore, the 200 fps reduction isn't going to be much help.

This link says it will open between 1600 and 3200 fps. 1600 fps is in the realm of some of our hunting bullets already.
      It's meant to compete with the nosler 129 ablr bullet. But it fell short. The 129 ablr expansion limit is confirmed at 1300 fps.

Comment

• grayfox
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2017

The 200 lower, ie, 1600, would coincide with lots of bullets that open up down to 1800. Talking mostly big box bullets, not the smaller company, specialized ones...
        "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• kmon
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2015

For the price and expansion velocities in DNS post I will stick with the LRAB. Also why do companies not include G7 BC for boattail bullets

Comment

• Dinny
            Warrior
            • Jun 2016

Good info to know.

Thanks, Dinny

Comment

• rickOshay
              Warrior
              • Apr 2012

Originally posted by kmon View Post
              For the price and expansion velocities in DNS post I will stick with the LRAB. Also why do companies not include G7 BC for boattail bullets
              Had to go to the Firearms Blog to get the G7 BC: .263

Comment

• Dinny
                Warrior
                • Jun 2016

I have found the FTA (Federal Terminal Ascent) bullet to be very close in BC and length to the ABLR so I loaded ladders tests and shot them today. I loaded both with 28, 29, and 30gr of CFE 223 and all of them shot well but the 29gr load shot under 1/2" for 3 shots at 50yds with both bullets. Noticing that the 30gr ABLR group had opened up, I decided to shoot the 30gr FTA load at 100yds and was surprised with a 1" 3 shot group.

Next go around I'll shoot both bullets at 100yds with the 29gr load and run them over a chrono. Then I plan to test them both in boxes filled with wet newspapers to compare penetration and expansion.

Thanks, Dinny
                Last edited by Dinny; 05-31-2020, 05:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X