TTSX OAL - Ogive Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • longdayjake

this just in. I recently read that 2230 has had some issues in the past with coming from several different manufacturers and different lots will get different results. So, YMMV

Comment

Originally posted by longdayjake View Post
      this just in. I recently read that 2230 has had some issues in the past with coming from several different manufacturers and different lots will get different results. So, YMMV
      Hopefully that has changed now they they are owned by Western Powders. BTW, AA 2230 and Ramshot X-T are the same exact powder.

Comment

• bwaites
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by mseric View Post
        Hopefully that has changed now they they are owned by Western Powders. BTW, AA 2230 and Ramshot X-T are the same exact powder.
        Interesting. When I spoke to Ramshot I asked about that, and they told me there were differences. Admittedly that was a couple years ago, so something may have changed, but 2230 has been around a long time.

They also told me there were differences in TAC and 2520, although they do look very similar physically.

I've had temperature stability issues with 2520 that I haven't seen with TAC, but maybe that has been more circumstantial in my experience vs. a real difference.

I've wondered about the seeming "twins" for some time.

This is the first time I've seen anyone actually post that they are the same.

Comment

• StoneTower

Interesting, Mine has a brass spring for the inside rod, almost like a large guitar string. I have had mine for quite awhile, maybe when Hornady took over they switched to a cheaper plastic rod.
          Could it be that the OAL gauge you have is the curved version? I believe that version has the spring. In an AR you really don't need the curved version as you can remove the bolt carrier.

Comment

Originally posted by StoneTower View Post
            Could it be that the OAL gauge you have is the curved version? I believe that version has the spring. In an AR you really don't need the curved version as you can remove the bolt carrier.
            Yup, good call, mine is the curved version.

Comment

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
              Interesting. When I spoke to Ramshot I asked about that, and they told me there were differences. Admittedly that was a couple years ago, so something may have changed, but 2230 has been around a long time.

They also told me there were differences in TAC and 2520, although they do look very similar physically.

I've had temperature stability issues with 2520 that I haven't seen with TAC, but maybe that has been more circumstantial in my experience vs. a real difference.

I've wondered about the seeming "twins" for some time.

This is the first time I've seen anyone actually post that they are the same.
              I emailed Johan a few weeks ago and asked if indeed they were the same. Here is his reply.

Steve,

Yes for all practical purposes it’s the same.

Therefore the same loads will apply.

Regards

Johan Loubser

Ballistician

Ramshot.Accurate Powders

Tel: 406.234.0422 email: johan@ramshot.com

WesternPowdersInc.Miles City.Montana.

COMPANY WEBSITES/PRODUCTS:

Get the most efficient firearm cleaning solvents and lubricants from MONTANA X-TREME. Visit our website to learn more.

Comment

• bwaites
                • Mar 2011

I emailed Johan a few weeks ago and asked if indeed they were the same. Here is his reply.

Steve,

Yes for all practical purposes it’s the same.

Therefore the same loads will apply.

Regards

Johan Loubser

Ballistician

Ramshot.Accurate Powders

Tel: 406.234.0422 email: johan@ramshot.com

WesternPowdersInc.Miles City.Montana.

COMPANY WEBSITES/PRODUCTS:

Get the most efficient firearm cleaning solvents and lubricants from MONTANA X-TREME. Visit our website to learn more.

www.blackhorn209.com
                Steve, That's really cool. He says "for all practical purposes", so I wonder what that means. Rereading my post, it sounds like I am skeptical, and I apologize. I've wondered the same about TAC and 2520 for a long time.

He did tell me in the past that they used XTerm for their loads because they considered TAC a little slow for the bullet weights ideally suited to the Grendel.

It gets more and more interesting!

Comment

Working...
                X