Clear All
  • Gringoloco
    Warrior
    • Dec 2017

Case prep

• ricsmall
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

I prefer to wet tumble with SS pins. After 34ish years of reloading, I like this method best
    Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

All I have used is corn cob and walnut media. Works for me. I deprime and clean in the walnut and then use the corn cob to remove sizeing lub and polish up the case after I have sized it and ran it over the case prep center.

Comment

• Constitutionalist
        Warrior
        • Nov 2016

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
        All I have used is corn cob and walnut media. Works for me. I deprime and clean in the walnut and then use the corn cob to remove sizeing lub and polish up the case after I have sized it and ran it over the case prep center.
        +1

Comment

• Mesa1978
          Warrior
          • May 2015

I have the large Frankford wet, pins and Dawn, 2 hours did 120 Grendel and 200 6.5 Creedmoor cases very nicely. Case mouths were peened and needed to be chamfered. I used graphite to replace the carbon that was removed from the case necks.

Comment

• kmon
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2015

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
            +2

I also have a sonic cleaner that I use sometimes and think it gets cases too clean and use it mostly for gun parts now

Comment

• Rosecrans1
              Warrior
              • Feb 2019

Also +1

Comment

• Klem
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2013

For suppressed I recommend an Ultrasonic with hot soapy water plus salt and vinegar, followed by a fresh water rinse and a hair dryer. Removing the primers prior helps with flow of air and quicker drying. This is a lot of work so it doesn't happen every time.

For everything else it's a vibratory tumbler on a timer; 6hrs overnight. Still not super shiny clean but it's effortless and more for the sizing die than what it looks like. I don't deprime for this, there's no reason to.

Comment

• FLshooter
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2019

Comment

• ricsmall
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2014

Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• 1Shot
                      Warrior
                      • Feb 2018

My normal way of doing things is dump the cases first into my vibe cleaner with (old dirty) Lyman treated corncob media to "pre-clean" any dirt etc. off. I will run them 1 or more hours which depends on what I am doing and I do this most often days or weeks before loading time. With the pre-cleaned cases I then size them. Then I put them back into the tumbler with a different batch of Lyman treated corncob with some New-finish auto polish added to it. I run it 3 or 4 hours and they come out looking like new. I then inspect and clean out the primer pockets for any media stick in them and poke out any in the flash hole and use my RCBS primer pocket brush to clean the primer pocket. I then measure the cases and if need trimming I do this. Then I load them.

Comment

• FLshooter
                        Chieftain
                        • Jun 2019

Comment

• centerfire
                          Warrior
                          • Dec 2017

I wet tumble pistol brass and surplus 556 and 762. I dry media tumble everything else. Wet tumbling and steel pins peen case mouths and surface harden the brass.

Comment

• pinetreebbs
                            Warrior
                            • Nov 2013

i remove primers first. Yes, I know clean primer pockets do not impact accuracy, but if you compare the appearance of the press I use to deprime brass with all my other presses, it becomes apparent removing primers, even from tumbled brass, is messy. I use the inexpensive Lee Breech Lock press and their universal decapping die for my depriming station.

Once primers are removed, the precision rifle brass gets primer pockets cleaned on a Lyman Case Prep machine, wiped down, lubricated, sized and trimmed as necessary.

All other brass get wet tumbled with pins and Brassjuice. I typically use a very light coating of sizing lube to load pistol rounds to make them easier to size and less sticky in the powder drop funnel on a progressive press.

I do use corncob media to remove bottleneck case sizing lubricant after sizing and trimming operations.

Comment

• White Smoke
                              Bloodstained
                              • Dec 2019

I use a Frankford Arsenal vibrator tumbler with ground walnut shells. Go to a pet store and get lizard bedding. Same thing as sold in the gun stores...ground walnut shells, but MUCH cheaper. I normally use a brass catcher, so my brass is clean when I run it through the sizing/decapping die. Otherwise, I run the cases through the tumbler first to remove any dirt, etc. that can scratch the dies and then do the sizing/decapping. Once sized and de-capped, they go into, or back into, the tumbler for a three-hour run to clean the cases before trimming, chamfering and priming. When you clean the primer pocket, make sure that no media is caught in the flash hole.
                              Last edited by White Smoke; 04-08-2020, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X