• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • burnsy13
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2017

What trimmer/chambfer/deburr tools?

This is going to an extremely stupid question, because I've been reloading for a couple of years now, but mainly 223. I have a Giraud Triway that does it all in 223 (even thought I still haven't gotten that down right because I'm stubborn), but I'm not sure what to use with all of my Grendel brass.

All of my brass I have now is once fired Hornady I kept after shooting factory ammo. I've had major issues with the Giraud and different headstamps, and different lots of same headstamps for that matter. What should I grab to complete these tasks for Grendel? And how do you all adjust them for different brands of brass? I'm still surprised at how much I have to play with the triway for the same caliber brass.

Currently, I use a Dillon 550, a Dillon 1100 is in my future but I may keep the Grendel with the 550 and just dedicate that press entirely to it.
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

I'm useing the Frankford aersonal machine. Perrty easy to setup and works with hornady, Starline and PPU brass just fine.

Has all the tools, trimmer, chamfer and deburr head and primer pocket cleaner.

Comment

• DDRanch
      Warrior
      • Jul 2017

I have a regular Giraud, with a dedicated trimmer blade and case holder. Have not had any problems.

Comment

• Bigs28
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2016

I use lyman case prep center

Comment

• FLshooter
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2019

Comment

• Rosecrans1
            Warrior
            • Feb 2019

I use the RCBS Case Prep unit and I trim with a Forster and the power tool adapter for it.

Comment

• hazzbro
              Unwashed
              • Feb 2020

+1 on the L.E.Wilson. Been using mine for over 20 years now. Stupid accurate and, with the power adapter, reasonably efficient. Perhaps others could be faster (FA, Hornady) but I'd bet not as accurate. Depends on what you want. I use it for 223/5.56, 308, 6.5 Grendel, etc. Only thing is it can get expensive if you do many calibres and want the micrometer option. I don't use the micrometer and still get .0005" accuracy ...no kidding.

Here's one of the videos I made talking about it if you're interested:

Comment

• 1Shot
                Warrior
                • Feb 2018

I finally wore out the cheaper Lyman trimmer after about 30 years of usage. I bought the top of the line Orange Lyman a few years ago. This is the one with the universal style shell holder. I also got the shaft that you can attach a power drill etc. to turn it. Once set I can trim a bunch of cases in no time. I just use a RCBS chamfer tool by hand.

One trick that I do to save wear on the shaft to frame surface is to support my drill that I attach to power the shaft. I mounted my trimmer on a piece of 1/2" composite decking board that I can C-clamp to my loading bench. I use an old electric variable speed drill to power it. To support the weight of the drill and keep from putting downward pressure all the time on the shaft. I can lay the drill on it's relatively flat side with handle and trigger facing me on top of a piece of 2x4 wood with a plastic tray that comes out of a box of 9mm ammo on top of the wood. This supports the weight of the drill and also allows the two plastic surfaces to slide on each other for smooth operation. I use my thumb to operate the trigger on the drill.

Comment

• burnsy13
                  Bloodstained
                  • Sep 2017

Okay awesome. Seriously, thank you all for the input

Comment

• glk45
                    Bloodstained
                    • Aug 2018

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
                    I'm useing the Frankford aersonal machine. Perrty easy to setup and works with hornady, Starline and PPU brass just fine.

Has all the tools, trimmer, chamfer and deburr head and primer pocket cleaner.
                    Same here.

Comment

Working...
                    X