• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mopardoctor
    Warrior
    • Apr 2015

Starline nickel cases hard to prime?

Picked up some 6.5 Grendel Starline nickel cases and with all of the time I have decided to load up some cases. I'm using #41 primers and they are taking extra effort to get the primers to seat flush. I had to bump all of the primer pockets with a primer pocket uniformer to clean up the pockets. Are plain brass Starline 6.5 Grendel cases hard to prime?

Mopar Doctor
  • Rosecrans1
    Warrior
    • Feb 2019

I never had problems with Starline's brass cases in regard to priming. I always thought they required more trimming compared to Hornaday brass but not overly much more. In may in fact be my imagination. I never worked with nickel cases or nickel plated cases but I know someone will chime in if there is an issue.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
      Administrator
      • Feb 2011

Nothing to add, sorry, but I want to say I had to go and buy some of that nickel-plated Grendel brass just for the novelty of it!
      :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• hill37
        Warrior
        • Apr 2017

Do you think the plated cases may be over runs from a bulk order?

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

New one on me as I have never heard of or seen a nickel plated 6.5 Grendel case. I suspect your right where Starline sold overruns from brass sold to a ammo manufacturer.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
            Administrator
            • Feb 2011

I got my Starline nickel-plated Grendel brass from Midway HERE.

Was just watching a Johnny's Reloading Bench Youtube video on Starline brass (not nickel) in 224 Valkyrie and he mentioned it was difficult to prime. Maybe it's just a Starline thing?
            :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• hill37
              Warrior
              • Apr 2017

The only rifle ammo loaded in nickel cases I can think of is Speer Gold Dot Personal protection.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2015

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
                I got my Starline nickel-plated Grendel brass from Midway HERE.

Was just watching a Johnny's Reloading Bench Youtube video on Starline brass (not nickel) in 224 Valkyrie and he mentioned it was difficult to prime. Maybe it's just a Starline thing?
                It's a nickel plated thing, not a Starline thing. I have Starline grendel and gpc brass and it's not hard to prime.

Comment

• bbqncigars
                  Bloodstained
                  • Jun 2019

I'll just say that my nickeled 45-70 cases are noticeably harder to resize with all other things being equal.

Comment

• Mopardoctor
                    Warrior
                    • Apr 2015

It must be the thickness of the plating

Comment

Working...
                    X