• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DeanD
    Bloodstained
    • Feb 2017

Hornaday American Gunner vs. Frontier

What is the difference in Hornaday American Gunner and the Frontier 6.5 Grendel? I have 500 of the Frontier on order, the American Gunner is about ten cents a round more but I don't see a lot of technical data on either one. Is the American Gunner supposed to be better some how?
  • Harpoon1
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2017

Originally posted by DeanD View Post
    What is the difference in Hornaday American Gunner and the Frontier 6.5 Grendel? I have 500 of the Frontier on order, the American Gunner is about ten cents a round more but I don't see a lot of technical data on either one. Is the American Gunner supposed to be better some how?
    Last edited by Harpoon1; 04-11-2020, 11:28 AM.

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Comment

• FRB6.5
        Warrior
        • Oct 2018

IMO the ELD-M offering will be moved to their MATCH line (along with a price increase).

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by FRB6.5 View Post
          IMO the ELD-M offering will be moved to their MATCH line (along with a price increase).
          The eld-m is already part of their match line. That's why it's called hornady black and the M stands for match.

There is 2 loads offered in the black/ match line up. One is the eld-m load and the other is with the same ammo you get when you buy the 200 round can of 123 hpbt ammo that's called American gunner.

Comment

• FRB6.5
            Warrior
            • Oct 2018

Meant their cartridge offerings, they currently don't have a loaded Grendel MATCH SKU. Grendel is currently the only one in the Black line up using an ELD-M, given Hornady recently moved the AG HPBT to the Black line, moving the ELD-M to the more expensive MATCH cartridge line makes sense.

Looking at the product line up for a newer cartridge, the 6mm Creedmoor you can see the writing on the wall.
            Last edited by FRB6.5; 04-11-2020, 04:11 PM.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by FRB6.5 View Post
              Meant their cartridge offerings, they currently don't have a loaded Grendel MATCH SKU. Grendel is currently the only one in the Black line up using an ELD-M, given Hornady recently moved the AG HPBT to the Black line, moving the ELD-M to the more expensive MATCH cartridge line makes sense.

Looking at the product line up for a newer cartridge, the 6mm Creedmoor you can see the writing on the wall.
              I don't think they will move it at all. The load was designed specifically for the black line up too be fired from ar platform rifles.

The only difference between the hornady match line up and other line ups is the match line up uses only hornady match type bullets.

Why would they need to move it to make it a match load? It already uses a match bullet.

They have a hard enough time selling it now, if they move it to a more expensive line up, they are going to sell that much less of it.

Like I said I don't see them moving it simply so they can put it in a diffrent colored box and stamp match on the box.

They tryed that with the American gunner already and it backfired in their face. They closed the American gunner grendel ammo offer and moved it too the black line and nobody would buy it. So they brought it back to the American gunner line up and we went back to buying it.

Comment

• grayfox
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2017

A5 I think what he means is recognizing that Hornady now has 2 offerings in "black" boxes, used to be only 1, the hornady Black Eldm 123. Now there are 2 boxes, one is "plain" hornady black (the hpbt 123), and the other is "match" hornady black match, the (old) eldm 123. I think as was pointed out in earlier threads that the newer, plain black is just the AG123 boxed up in 20's vice the 50's it used to be... the cartridge is the same just the naming and the packaging differ (for the "AG" now "plain black").
                "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• FLshooter
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2019

American gunner uses a Hornady BTHP match bullet. Frontier uses the budget FMJ Hornady bullets. For me,American gunner would be worth $.10 more because you will get more accuracy out of them.

Comment

• DeanD
                    Bloodstained
                    • Feb 2017

I got the Frontier from White Birch Armory a week ago for 60 cents but they are out now. Target Sports has 200 of American Gunner for $140 free shipping.
                    Last edited by DeanD; 04-12-2020, 04:11 PM.

Comment

• Mustangfreek
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2020

Is the frontier the same Hornady brass?

Comment

• grayfox
                        Chieftain
                        • Jan 2017

Hornady loads and sells it, so yeah, I think so.
                        "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• DeanD
                          Bloodstained
                          • Feb 2017

Hopefully I can get to the range this week and I will post results of: PPU 110, PPU 120, Hornady Black, Hornaday Frontier, Hornady American Gunner, and Wolf. Not looking for hair splitting accuracy but we will see how they all do for practical shooting.

Comment

• OneHitWonder
                            Bloodstained
                            • Dec 2018

Originally posted by DeanD View Post
                            Hopefully I can get to the range this week and I will post results of: PPU 110, PPU 120, Hornady Black, Hornaday Frontier, Hornady American Gunner, and Wolf. Not looking for hair splitting accuracy but we will see how they all do for practical shooting.
                            I will be watching for your results.

Comment

• Mustangfreek
                              Warrior
                              • Jan 2020

Originally posted by FLshooter View Post
                              American gunner uses a Hornady BTHP match bullet. Frontier uses the budget FMJ Hornady bullets. For me,American gunner would be worth $.10 more because you will get more accuracy out of them.
                              Ya I fdont get that either.

More money for a fmj...hummm

Comment

Working...
                              X