• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NightStalker
    Warrior
    • Nov 2018

What components

Im just looking for a starting location for the Grendel. Id like to reload 100 grain bullets so i can keep the speed up. Im going to lose some speed out of my 16 in barrel, I already know that, cant help it.
    With this said can someone steer me to a affordable bullet for the Grendel
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

First we need to know what is the mission and max yardage of said mission?

True you will get more speed with the 100 grain bullets l. But your also going to slow down much much faster and be going slower sooner then say with a 123 eld-m leaving the barrel around 2400 too 2450 fps.

But we do need more details before we can give a good suggestion.

Comment

• NightStalker
      Warrior
      • Nov 2018

Hunting plinking self defense, i know hard to find a do all bullet that is still affordable but I'm looking.
      Im keeping it short and light, I horse pack into my hunting spot on occasion and this caliber is perfect for Couse deer. I really like Barns bullets, they hit like fmj then expand, but pricey.

I dont see me shooting at meat past 400-500 and thats a maybe, might plink that far just to try it though
      Last edited by NightStalker; 04-11-2020, 04:51 PM.

Comment

• rabiddawg
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2013

Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• FLshooter
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2019

Comment

• 1Shot
            Warrior
            • Feb 2018

I would suggest that you not go with light bullets especially if 400 to 500 yards are in play on deer size game. If your rifle will shoot it yes the 123 Hornady SST. The 120 Speer Gold Dot and Sierra 125 Pro hunter are also really good bullets that will work fine.

Comment

• CJW
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2019

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2015

Originally posted by NightStalker View Post
                Hunting plinking self defense, i know hard to find a do all bullet that is still affordable but I'm looking.
                Im keeping it short and light, I horse pack into my hunting spot on occasion and this caliber is perfect for Couse deer. I really like Barns bullets, they hit like fmj then expand, but pricey.

I dont see me shooting at meat past 400-500 and thats a maybe, might plink that far just to try it though
                With that as a max range I would not use a 100 grain bullet much less the Barnes bullet.

I would use the 120 gold dot are 12e eld-m are the 129 ablr.

If your shots at game would be 300 are less I could see useing a 100 grain bullet but at 400 to 500 yards the 100 grain low B.C. bullets aren't going to cut the mustard.

Comment

• Rosecrans1
                  Warrior
                  • Feb 2019

The lighter bullets mentioned will drop a larger Whitetail where I live and I know your game is smaller but I wouldn't use them past 250-300 yards. (Actually, I wouldn't use them for anything other than hole punching and varmints but that is just me living in the east).
                  The 120/123 grain bullets are what the Grendel was optimized for. Plenty of speed within your yardage predictions and the ability to produce deadly accuracy. And there are plenty of bullets that deliver on the lower end of the price range in this group that are designed to mushroom at lower velocities. I know most of what we read and and watch is about the shock and organic destruction of a 3000+ fps hunting bullet "knocking down" the prey but the 6.5's deliver without the weight, barrel lengths and recoil associated with the magnum era rifles. (And a lot less meat loss). Precise bullet placement within established distances with bullets designed to expand at the velocities the Grendel produces are it's calling card. Otherwise, you are looking at a different caliber with a shorter barrel. If you weigh each bullet in a box and segregate them before loading, the Speer 120gr Gold Dot is a very good hunting bullet and inexpensive but for higher BC's, the 120 SST is great and also inexpensive.
                  Stay Happy & Healthy.

Comment

Working...
                  X