• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mel
    Chieftain
    • Nov 2019

working up a load with 130g nosler rdf , power pro varmint

my local shop called me and my rdf's came in so this afternoon im going to go pick them up and start working up a load
    with the 28g of ppv under the 140's going 2400fps im going to start around 27-27.5g of ppv under the 130's in hornaday brass , cci #400
    im going to guess and say i should be able to push theese to 2550 fps out of my 20 inch barrel

it is supposed to rain here later today and tommorow so not sure if ill be able to get any shooting in but maybe really looking forward to testing theese after the results ive been having with the 140's , and after this ill move onto the 135g a-tips

if all my calcs are right an i can get these into the 2550 fps range this should allow me to get out to 2k yards on my gong at 2650fps its deffinatly doable but i dont think i can push them that fast but we will see i didnt expect to be able to get 2400 flat out of the 140's
    Last edited by mel; 04-18-2020, 06:44 PM.
  • biodsl
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2011

Best to you. I couldn't get them to group. I had better luck with the Berger Hybrids and the ELD-Ms. Of course the RDF's BC is so, so sweet. AR-Comp improved worked well for me for bullets in the 130 range but didn't provide the speed that CFE or Lever did. Speed's pointless without accuracy though.
    Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• mel
      Chieftain
      • Nov 2019

Originally posted by biodsl View Post
      Best to you. I couldn't get them to group. I had better luck with the Berger Hybrids and the ELD-Ms. Of course the RDF's BC is so, so sweet. AR-Comp improved worked well for me for bullets in the 130 range but didn't provide the speed that CFE or Lever did. Speed's pointless without accuracy though.
      im counting on the extra velocity out of the 130 to get me out that far but i also have eld-m 140's to pick up and there bc matches the rdf compared to the .580 of the hpbt 140's i just tried
      my biggest concern is like u said i hope there accurate find out soon enough

ppv has been really good in my gun velocity and has been really accurate so im prolly not going to be trying any other powders

Comment

• RobUrban
        Bloodstained
        • Jul 2018

I was able to get good accuracy with 8208 xbr but was only able to get roughly 2350 fps out of my 20" barrel. My results with CFE 223 accuracy was terrible, but velocity was up near 2500 FPS. In my experience they will shoot out of the Grendel but you might expect an lengthly load work up! I love the RDF's wish their were more RDF style bullets out there.

Comment

• grayfox
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2017

For a 20" barrel IMO your target MV should be more like 2440-2460, give or take.
          All barrels are different but I wouldn't get my hopes set on 2550-ish, at least until your chrono and brass say you're getting there.
          my opinion.
          "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• mel
            Chieftain
            • Nov 2019

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
            For a 20" barrel IMO your target MV should be more like 2440-2460, give or take.
            All barrels are different but I wouldn't get my hopes set on 2550-ish, at least until your chrono and brass say you're getting there.
            my opinion.
            oh i know 2550 was just a guess based on my experience with other bullets since i know i can push a 123 to 2600fps and a 140g 2400 even

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
              Administrator
              • Feb 2011

In a 20" barrel 2550 fps for the 120gr class is considered really good, so I'm hoping you can safely do it with the 130 RDF with the right powder. You're in an AR, right? You're not loading beyond mag length? SAAMI chamber and throat?

Hodgdon just released their latest burn rate chart, and the weird thing is Alliant PPV is #93 and LeveRevolution is #113. Why so widely spaced on the burn rate chart and yet they seem to be performing similar to each other with the same bullet and barrel?
              :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• mel
                Chieftain
                • Nov 2019

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
                In a 20" barrel 2550 fps for the 120gr class is considered really good, so I'm hoping you can safely do it with the 130 RDF with the right powder. You're in an AR, right? You're not loading beyond mag length? SAAMI chamber and throat?

Hodgdon just released their latest burn rate chart, and the weird thing is Alliant PPV is #93 and LeveRevolution is #113. Why so widely spaced on the burn rate chart and yet they seem to be performing similar to each other with the same bullet and barrel?
                yes in an ar with a wilson barrel i load to 2.195 with the 90's 2.250-2.255 with the 123's or 2.255 with the 140,s

from my 140g testing at 2400 fps
                Last edited by mel; 04-19-2020, 04:18 AM.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                  Administrator
                  • Feb 2011

So far, so good!

Primer still looks rounded to me and don't see any brass smears.
                  :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• mel
                    Chieftain
                    • Nov 2019

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
                    So far, so good!

Primer still looks rounded to me and don't see any brass smears.
                    yeah only thing i noticed was the tiniest bit of cratering showing on a primer no and then on that load

weather here has been crap last 2 days with 2 more days of raina nd thunderstorms comming so prolly wont do much till late this comming week

Comment

• VASCAR2
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Comment

• mel
                        Chieftain
                        • Nov 2019

ive only ever had an issue with my ar10/creedmoor pierced primers and a few slam fires ive switched primers in it

when i get threw my last 1500 #400's i may make the change over to 450's
                        Last edited by mel; 04-20-2020, 02:30 PM.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Comment

• mel
                            Chieftain
                            • Nov 2019

Loaded my first 5 at 28g ppv cci #400 hornaday brass 2.255 oal chrono/group test shortly

130g left n middle vs 140g hornaday match hpbt right

Comment

• mel
                              Chieftain
                              • Nov 2019

chrono gave meError 3 on all 5 rounds brass looks great
                              Going to move upto 28.3 g. And try again

Only grabbed a pic after the first 2 rounds when I went to reset my crono but all 5 r touching so grouping good so far

Comment

Working...
                              X