Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Comment

• Hattrick
        Bloodstained
        • Jan 2014

Interesting and thank you. So with your experience shooting hogs at those distances the 90s are performing as well or better that say 123 SSTs?

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
          Administrator
          • Feb 2011

The king of shooting hogs with the 90 TNT is DoubleNaughtSpy. Check out his VIDEOS. He's tried a lot of bullets and is very happy with the 90 TNT on hogs.
          :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• FLshooter
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2019

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
              Chieftain
              • Sep 2013

When you say "longer range," what do you mean? In the real world of hunting most guys are not shooting over 100 yards most of the time. There was a survey years ago on Texas Hunting Forum where 90-95% (can't recall the specifics) of people's typical shooting distance was inside 100 yards. 98% included everything within 200 yards. The other small percentage was the people went elk, speed goat, prairie dog hunting, etc. If they were hunting deer, hogs, coyotes, varmints, then 98% of the time they were hunting inside 200 yards. For a lot of hunters, longer range is over 100 yards. For some, it is over 200 yards. For a few, 300 yards. For a very few, it is 400-800 yards, right?

I hunt with 90 gr Speer TNTs because they will do what I need them to do within my typical hunting range with is usually inside 200 yards and 99.9% of the time inside 300. I get 2800 fps from Federal loaded Speer TNTs and 2530 from Hornady SST 123s from my gun. Within 300 yards, the TNTs have a flatter trajectory than the 123s. At 200 yards, they still have a higher velocity (so actually get to the target faster). Maybe the difference is subtle, but I would rather a bullet on target sooner rather than later just like I would like less drop over distance. Once on target, the TNT seems to be a very reliable performer, coming apart, making decent to very large permanent wound channels, and with sufficient penetration to get the job done. 123 gr. SSTs are great rounds, no doubt. They also tend to come apart inside typical hunting distances but when their velocity drops enough, they act more like a soft point more so than an expanding hollowpoint. TNTs pose much less risk to things down range with over penetration because what exits, when it exits, are going to be tiny fragments that are not aerodynamic and not apt to be a danger for very many yards. SSTs penetrate better and I get a lot more overpenetration with them (which I see as a good thing) and so are more apt to produce better blood trails.

In my opinion, the 90 gr. TNTs punch above their class, at least inside 200 yards.

I say all this without suggesting that TNTs are right for everybody. This would not be my round of choice if I was eating the meat. While they are a "varmint" round, they are more durable than bullets such as Nosler Varmageddon. I am not impressed with the performance on skunks, for example. Often there isn't enough body there for the bullet to do its magic. On Coyotes, great. Hogs, great. So don't let the "varmint" moniker fool you. These work on much larger animals as well.

Oh, and apparently some people find them to be really very accurate bullets. I know they work for my needs. There are a LOT of good bullets out there, but I like TNTs.
              Kill a hog. Save the planet.
              My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• HuntTXhogs
                Warrior
                • Jan 2014

Comment

• HuntTXhogs
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2014

Here is a double kill by DNS at 60 yards with the 90 grain TNT

I think he has one at 100 + yards too

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                    Chieftain
                    • Sep 2013

HuntTXhogs, I have actually had 3 using TNTs, but they were generally smaller hogs and were close together. I have also managed to 'tattoo' one hog behind another one with shrapnel, but not enough to actually do much more that cause superficial flesh wounding.
                    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
                    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• Hattrick
                      Bloodstained
                      • Jan 2014

Pretty interesting thanks for sharing and love the videos.

Comment

Working...
                      X