• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DeanD
    Bloodstained
    • Feb 2017

Another Range Report

Swapped out the Millett scope for a Leupold VXIII 3.5-10 with target knobs and sunshade set on 10x shooting at 50 yards off bench. Same rifle as the test I did several days ago: 16" Doublestar/E.R. Shaw 16" chrome-lined 1:9 barrel. (Prior results) It's all good ammo for general shooting and hunting except the Wolf which is better for plinking and practice.

Wolf 100 gr. 2" (1 5/8")
    PPU 120 gr. HP BT 1" (7/8")
    PPU 110 gr. FMJ BT 7/16" (3/4")
    Hornady Frontier 123 gr. FMJ 7/8" (5/8")
    Hornady Black 123 gr. ELD 1/4" (7/8")

• FLshooter
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2019

I stick with the ELD. Those are great results.

Comment

• Bronz
      Bloodstained
      • Sep 2018

PPU 110 looks good.

Comment

• DeanD
        Bloodstained
        • Feb 2017

Yes, the PPU 110 did pretty well both times 7/16 and 3/4. The Hornady Frontier did 5/8 the first time, I was surprised at this group, could have been the old man behind the rifle. Should actually do more of a test to get reliable results, two 3-shot groups isn't enough of a sample. Still it is what it is, always good to see real results and comparisons out of the same rifle. I ran a patch lightly coated with some teflon based Rem Oil down the bore between different brands to help equalize the conditions.

Comment

• 1Shot
          Warrior
          • Feb 2018

I am very surprised that you got that good of groups with running a patch with Rem Oil between groups. Usually the first shot after doing something like that will be way out of the group. Also 50 yard groups can be VERY misleading. I once tried loading .308 diameter bullets for the 7.62x54R for a M-44 carbine. At 50 yards there was a ragged hole 5 shot group. Moved out to 100 yards and could not keep shots on a 2'x2' target and the ones that did hit left oblong holes. Switched to .311 diameter bullets and was under 1" at 100 yards and that is with open sights and a terrible trigger.

Comment

• Mad Charlie
            Warrior
            • May 2017

Ah yes, the finely engineered and delicate Mosin Nagant trigger...

Comment

• DeanD
              Bloodstained
              • Feb 2017

"Usually the first shot after doing something like that will be way out of the group" Don't have any fliers out of five groups, in fact all three shots are pretty much equally spaced: meaning shot two and shot three are no different in spacing than shot one so I would conclude the very light coating of RemOil on the patch on shot one didn't have any effect at all.

Point well taken though.

Comment

Working...
              X