• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SPECTRE66
    Unwashed
    • Mar 2017

LR,
    Thanks an awful bunch, for the information. I'll be 'on the lookout' for primers that feel they need to 'leave the building'.
    Certainly, since there is so much brass involved, the notion of 'case mortality' is acceptable, given the cost.
    Remington Jim, said 'Why Waste your time and money?' It's an engineering experiment for me, and of course, one worthy of exploration, in the absence of 6.5G cases.
    Plus, the fire-forming is not without merit, since feral pigs are usually the target.
    I am accordingly, scaling back my fire-forming loads, based on less case volume, and the fact that I'm using large rifle primers.
    Thanks again!

Comment

• NightStalker
      Warrior
      • Nov 2018

What internal reemer is needed, size or name?

This could still be fun when i have some down time.
      Last edited by NightStalker; 04-30-2020, 01:11 PM.

Comment

• Constitutionalist
        Warrior
        • Nov 2016

Lots of different perspectives on this topic- here's mine:

Early in my Grendel journey, Grendel brass was hard to find but I had 1000 rounds of 7.62x39mm. I also had several partial boxes of bullets left over from experimenting with my M96 6.5x55mm. I fire formed 600 rounds and found them to be some of the most accurate loads I had- both while fireforming and after they were semi-officially "Grendel". I never turned any necks. I just took a 100 and shot them until the necks split or the primer pockets got too loose (usually 3-5 loads after forming). By then actual Grendel brass could be had new or once-fired for a reasonable price.

At that point I loaded up the rest with 123grain Nosler Custom Comp blems and put them on the shelf for a rainy day. I think the exercise is useful to know how its done and Grendel brass may one day be hard to find. On the other hand the last rifle on Earth will probably be an AK.

Stay healthy, Horde!

John

Comment

Working...
        X