• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Budasc
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2019

Hornady 140 gr ELD Match load data

Does anyone have load data for the above bullets using BLC-2, Reloader-7, Lilgun, Bluedot or Titegroup?
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

I don't have data for that bullet. But of the listed powders I think blc-2 is the only one safe are worth trying in the grendel.

If I was going to try and run the 140's. I would try h4895 and ar-comp.

Comment

• Woodsman
      Unwashed
      • Sep 2022

Reloading Grendal 140 g Hornady ELD X

Originally posted by Budasc View Post
      Does anyone have load data for the above bullets using BLC-2, Reloader-7, Lilgun, Bluedot or Titegroup?
      I just worked up a formula as I could not find deer hunting ammo.
      CFE223 (also use to load 5.56) Hodgdon 30g - case oal 1.512 - round oal 2.196 - Hornady 140 ELD X
      I found 26g 1905 fps - 28g 2098 - 30g 2223
      Measured 2 ft from muzzle. Ar15 16 inch barrel 1-8 groves. Testing accuracy today

Comment

• pashiner
        Unwashed
        • Mar 2019

I've also been searching for load data with this bullet and blc-2. I also have blue dot and LilGun on hand, but I think they're too fast.
        from a couple tries at extrapolating data from load manuals, asking advice from members here, and using a borrowed version of quickload, it seems that 26 gn would be a very safe starting load, with a max near 28.5 gn. loaded long-ish, but not jammed into the lands, I believe a safe ladder test could be performed. I haven't actually found any pressure tested, published loads for the particular combination of hornady 140 bthp and blc-2, and I haven't had an opportunity to fire any over a chronograph, but if you were looking for a place to start, I believe this would be it.
        If you're loading for a gas gun, remember by the time you see pressure signs, you're already in the danger zone!

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Budasc View Post
          similar construction to the 140gr A-MAX and ELD-M when looking at jacket wall thickness.

They include:

RL 10X (I would personally not use RL10X under a 107gr SMK, let alone a 120gr, 130gr, or 140gr in Grendel)
          Benchmark (Same story-great for lower projectile weights, but on the fast end of the burn rate even for 120-123gr)
          Power Pro 1200-R
          8208 XBR (same thing, very fast for 140gr, already fast for 120gr and higher, optimum for 107gr SMK)
          TAC
          H335
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by pashiner View Post
            I've also been searching for load data with this bullet and blc-2. I also have blue dot and LilGun on hand, but I think they're too fast.
            from a couple tries at extrapolating data from load manuals, asking advice from members here, and using a borrowed version of quickload, it seems that 26 gn would be a very safe starting load, with a max near 28.5 gn. loaded long-ish, but not jammed into the lands, I believe a safe ladder test could be performed. I haven't actually found any pressure tested, published loads for the particular combination of hornady 140 bthp and blc-2, and I haven't had an opportunity to fire any over a chronograph, but if you were looking for a place to start, I believe this would be it.
            If you're loading for a gas gun, remember by the time you see pressure signs, you're already in the danger zone!
            In the published data for 130gr Scirocco and 130gr Berger VLD from AA, BL-C(2) max loads were 29.4gr and 29.0gr respectively.

I would probably lower your projected max load from there by at least 1gr, and work up to it with a pressure ladder using .2gr under the 140gr ELD-M, due to case intrusion and its reduction of propellant volume (pressure increases when volume decreases).

26gr of BL-C(2) is probably

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• pashiner
              Unwashed
              • Mar 2019

looks like we're getting somewhere! I've come across that 2300fps load ceiling before in my research on similar weight projectiles. Hopefully one of us interested parties can send a few shots over a chronograph sooner rather than later. Might finally be time to get myself an early x-mas present instead of waiting to borrow one.

Comment

• bfoosh006
                Unwashed
                • Oct 2022

In my experience, and when using BL-C(2) in other cartridges.... BL-C(2) tends to go High Pressure fast at max'ish loadings.

I have never loaded BL-C (2) for the 65 Grendel... but I have used it in .223/5.56 and 308/ 7.62x51 loads made for AR's.

Be mindful of extreme Temperatures and "Max" loads when using it. Numerous times it has been fine at 70 degrees.. and way over pressure at 90 degrees.... YMMV

Heed LRRPF52's comments concerning BL-C(2)... specifically, "I think BL-C(2) is a suitable powder if approached carefully." ... and "probably a safe start load"

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

Last edited by LRRPF52; 10-06-2022, 03:25 AM.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                  X