Chieftain
    • Jan 2018

Thoughts on Nosler 100 gr. Partitions

Shooters Pro Shop has blems on sale???
    Hogs maybe? Anybody tried these?
  • Mitdr774
    Warrior
    • Jul 2019

I have a couple boxes to try and work up a load with. If I can get a decent velocity and grouping I will debate using them on deer if I have an opportunity in the non limited firearm zone of the state. Current hunting area (more like napping in the woods area due to a great lack of deer) is in the limited zone and I sit with my .458x1.8.

Comment

• iNheRchOnieS
      Bloodstained
      • Apr 2020

Originally posted by Popeye212 View Post
      Shooters Pro Shop has blems on sale???
      Hogs maybe? Anybody tried these?
      Last edited by iNheRchOnieS; 04-30-2020, 11:17 AM.

Comment

• 1Shot
        Warrior
        • Feb 2018

As a hunting bullet the partitions are great bullets. In my 41 years of hand loading experience I discovered one thing about the Nosler Partitions. Some weapons just do not like them and will not shoot them worth a hoot. Others will shoot them just fine. They are not match bullets and they don't have the best coefficient and they cost too much but they do a number on game. For what it is worth I always got much better accuracy with the Speer Grand Slam bullets and they worked comparatively with the Partition.

Comment

• iNheRchOnieS
          Bloodstained
          • Apr 2020

Originally posted by 1Shot View Post
          As a hunting bullet the partitions are great bullets. In my 41 years of hand loading experience I discovered one thing about the Nosler Partitions. Some weapons just do not like them and will not shoot them worth a hoot. Others will shoot them just fine. They are not match bullets and they don't have the best coefficient and they cost too much but they do a number on game. For what it is worth I always got much better accuracy with the Speer Grand Slam bullets and they worked comparatively with the Partition.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2015

No but they do make a 120 gold dot. It's become my go to bullet, I prefer a copper bullet for hunting but can live with a good bonded bullet

Comment

• VASCAR2
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Comment

• rickOshay
                Warrior
                • Apr 2012

We reviewed the 100 gr Partition in Volume 2 of the 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbook. It performed very well with respect to penetration and weight retention. The downside of these has always been the price. But if you can find a deal on blems, your GTG!

Comment

• 1Shot
                  Warrior
                  • Feb 2018

When I was speaking about the Speer Grand Slam bullets I was just speaking in general terms across the spectrum of calibers. As has been said Speer only makes 140 gr in .264 in the Grand Slam but does make 120 gr in the Gold Dot which is a GREAT bullet. Accurate and DEADLY in my experience. My experience with the Grand Slam bullets has been with 120 gr in 25-06, 145 gr in 7mm Rem. Mag and 150s in 30-06 and 308. I was shooting east NC white tail deer and my conclusion of on game performance is they are a bit too tough a bullet for my liking. I probably shot somewhere around 50 or so deer using these bullets from close to around 500 yards and I never recovered but one because of pass through. Usually unless part of the CNS was hit the deer would run off a ways before going down. The one bullet that I recovered was the 120 gr from the 25-06 at 3000 fps. The shot was on a good sized body buck at about 30 yards. Buck walked into the path I was hunting between two cut overs and turned facing me. I was in a shooting house that was only 10 feet off the ground. I was shooting at a slight downward angle. I aimed at the base of the neck body junction. On impact the buck fell straight back on it's butt like a dog sits down and then fell over and twitched a little. While butchering I found the bullet just under the hide on the back side of the right ham. The bullet had taken out the lungs and penetrated the gut then smashed the ball joint of the right ham and stopped just under the hide. Bullet was a text book mushroom and weighed 87 grs. I had almost the same results from the 130 Nosler AB out of my 264 Win mag at 3350 fps on a buck shot at 111 yards. Recovered it weighed 87 grs but was stopped by the smashed ball joint.
                  I have only shot one deer with the 120 Gold Dot which was out of my 6.5 Grendel at 2550 fps. It was a doe at 111 yards facing me and shot in the high center of the chest. Damage was like nothing I have ever seen to the chest cavity and I have killed hundreds of white tail with about everything from a sharp stick to a 45-70. Bullet penetrated around 20 inches and exited the belly with a thumb size hole and deer was DRT. Bang Flop.
                  Last edited by 1Shot; 05-01-2020, 01:04 PM.

Comment

• blackngold
                    Unwashed
                    • Oct 2018

I handloaded 100gr partitions for my 12.5" Grendel pistol w/monster barrel but couldn't get the 2.2 oal that hodgdon recommended. I had to seat bullet to 2.175 just touching the lands.
                    I was a bit concerned about seating that deep but they performed very well.
                    Using imr 8208 xbr powder, 29.5 grains reached 2420fps, 30.0 grains 2475, and 30.5 grains 2520. Measured with a magnetospeed v3.

All good groups out to 100yds and happy with the velocity.

Comment

Working...
                    X