Why Don't Reload Books List More Powders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NightStalker
    Warrior
    • Nov 2018

Why Don't Reload Books List More Powders?

I consider my self still new to reloading, always wanting to learn and gather knowledge.

So my question is why is it when you look at manufacturers data you may or may not find your favorite powder on the list. Does this mean they didn't try it?

I like cfe 223, varget and AR comp, sometimes there on the list or not

Just curious
  • Mitdr774
    Warrior
    • Jul 2019

I suspect that some of it is they just didnt test the powder and some of it is that a powder is not well suited to that cartridge or bullet. Some of it may also be that a specific powder was not available when the load data was developed. Powder options seem to change more rapidly than load books are updated.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
      Administrator
      • Feb 2011

I've always assumed a powder missing from a reloading book means they didn't try it. It's a major endeavor to test powders for hundred of cartridges and bullets and charge weights.
      :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Bigs28
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2016

Ive called manufacturers when i didn't see it listed on their sites and most of the time they were able to tell me verbally or email me data for the powders i had in question.

Comment

• lazyengineer
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2019

It's an annoyance, to be sure. Most of my powders I use aren't really that well represented in most books.

LT-32
          AR-Comp
          Re-16
          IMR4166
          CFE223

Even 8208 and Varget are too newfangled for some books. Generally best path is to go to manufacturer's sites. Unfortunately ARComp's manufacture data set is pretty light. Of all the manufactures, I think Western Powder (Accurate) has the best data guide, it's in a good .pdf that you can download and print. But of course only applies to their own powders. The Hodgdon book is OK, but Grendel is a bit of an afterthought in their book.
          4x P100

Comment

• JASmith
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2014

shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
            -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• sneaky one
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

L E- try ar comp, Tac , CFE, H335,

They're all ok- fine- maybe a small velocity loss--- with the Grrr- accuracy is key.

Comment

• sneaky one
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

JA- how are tests going out west? Still running any-many ? Been busy for a long while now.

Comment

• gwtx
                  Warrior
                  • Feb 2019

Sometimes the folks at the bullet manufacturer can shed some light for the particular bullet you want to load. Guys at sierra are as accommodating as liability will let them be. I doubt that they will give you specific "load data". Just a thought.
                  When a man's ways please the Lord, He makes even his enemies to be at peace with him.

Comment

Working...
                  X