• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gwtx
    Warrior
    • Feb 2019

Hornady 123 gr.BTHP Any reviews?

I bought some of these, and am interested in any experience or info on them. They look like an ELD-M that they forgot to put the ballistic tip on. Now may not be a good time to experiment with the shortage of components, but I'd like to try some on hogs. I shot a few with the same load I use for the ELD's and they look promising as far as accuracy goes, but would like to know how they might act on hogs. Not real concerned with long range performance as most of my shots are 250yds or less.
    Any input much appreciated,, Gary
    Attached Files
    Last edited by gwtx; 05-06-2020, 02:14 AM. Reason: ics
    When a man's ways please the Lord, He makes even his enemies to be at peace with him.
  • iNheRchOnieS
    Bloodstained
    • Apr 2020

Originally posted by gwtx View Post
    I bought some of these, and am interested in any experience or info on them. They look like an ELD-M that they forgot to put the ballistic tip on. Now may not be a good time to experiment with the shortage of components, but I'd like to try some on hogs. I shot a few with the same load I use for the ELD's and they look promising as far as accuracy goes, but would like to know how they might act on hogs. Not real concerned with long range performance as most of my shots are 250yds or less.
    Any input much appreciated,, Gary

Comment

• gwtx
      Warrior
      • Feb 2019

Thanks, I think I've read that before,,,,and forgot it I'm wondering if the hollow point would create enough expansion that they wouldn't "pencil through" as some "target" bullets do.
      When a man's ways please the Lord, He makes even his enemies to be at peace with him.

Comment

• iNheRchOnieS
        Bloodstained
        • Apr 2020

Originally posted by gwtx View Post
        Thanks, I think I've read that before,,,,and forgot it I'm wondering if the hollow point would create enough expansion that they wouldn't "pencil through" as some "target" bullets do.

Comment

• mel
          Chieftain
          • Nov 2019

Friend tried them on coyotes and they didnt expand might be a bit different on a hog thoiugh

Comment

• sundowner
            Chieftain
            • Nov 2017

Got 3 bags of 250 when MidSouth had them on sale work great on steel and paper targets .

Comment

• muvef
              Warrior
              • Mar 2017

They are accurate. Not sure about how they would react on a hog.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2015

If it was a hog I wanted to eat and didn't want to give a chance to get away. I would use a diffrent bullet.

But I keep very few hogs for eating and don't care if they run off to die and be ate by yotes and birds. So if it shot good from my gun I would use it.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2015

If it was a hog I wanted to eat and didn't want to give a chance to get away. I would use a diffrent bullet.

But I keep very few hogs for eating and don't care if they run off to die and be ate by yotes and birds. So if it shot good from my gun I would use it.

Comment

• imaguy3
                    Warrior
                    • Mar 2018

I have shot several coyotes with them, all within 100 yards and they all had substantial exit holes... as a result I did some tests on them with water jugs...

at 100 yards, 2400fps muzzle velocity... they exploded...

destroyed 3 water jugs

all I found in the sand bag

At distance, 477 yards (1600 ish fps impact) not so much. into a sandbag after a few water jugs... it clearly tumbled and went into the sandbag backwards

Last edited by imaguy3; 05-07-2020, 12:24 PM.

Comment

• gwtx
                      Warrior
                      • Feb 2019

Wow ! Thanks for the reply. The pics are really great. I bought some of these to use as backup supply in case the SST's and/or ELD's get hard to find. I'm using the same load as for the SST and ELD, and the POI is the same, no zero shift . The few I have chrono'd are averaging 2502fps MV. Most shots are under 200yds, 100 to 150 mainly. I'm not concerned with meat damage, just want'em dead quick.
                      Thanks again, good huntin to ya, Gary

Comment

Working...
                      X