• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tdbru
    Warrior
    • Dec 2019

trying to get 100gr. ttsx to group out of my mini howa

i've tried so far: benchmark, Alliant pro power varmint, and now CFE223. so far, no love. will give H4895 a try next go around. after that i'm out of suitable powders i think. and the local store is out of all powder, period. so no chance to try something else. yet. H4895 has proven pretty good in the past. i'm keeping my fingers crossed.

has anyone also had a very hard time getting the 100gr. ttsx to group out of your mini Howa? mines the 22" bbl version.
    thanks,
    -tdbru
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

I would suggest a seating depth change and a primer change if need be as well, more then a powder change.

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

I'd try 8208xbr, or H335, RL-15 can do it also but I haven't tried that one. CFE is a bit slow for the 100
      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• ricsmall
        Warrior
        • Sep 2014

I load these with 8208. I blv 29.6 grains. Just a load I threw together and it was accurate so went with it. Seated at Barnes book length. Probably 2.25 or so
        Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• JASmith
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2014

The TTSX is a lot harder than traditional lead core bullets. That means one needs to push pressures close to the 50-52 ksi max operating pressure to get adequate obturation.

Many lead core bullets will show excellent accuracy with slightly milder loads.
          shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
          -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• tdbru
            Warrior
            • Dec 2019

well, there is no 8208, RL15, or H335 to be had up in these parts.

thanks JA for that insight. hmmm.....

how does one go about working up a load for the 100gr. TTSX for a powder that i can't find data on? since 52K PSI doesn't flatten primers at all.

any one have a H4895 load for the 100gr. TTSX? i can find CFE223 which is a bit slower. i can interpolate. but this reloading stuff is rarely linear in relationship. charge weight to pressure.

i'll keep looking. thanks.
            -tdbru

p.s. as far as seating depth, magazine length constrains that
            Last edited by tdbru; 05-18-2020, 02:29 AM. Reason: added thought

Comment

• JASmith
              Chieftain
              • Sep 2014

Volume 2 of the Grendel Reloading Book has some loads using 2520.

Ammoguide has a few more: http://ammoguide.com/?catid=456
              shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
              -- Author Unknown

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2015

Originally posted by tdbru View Post

thanks JA for that insight. hmmm.....

how does one go about working up a load for the 100gr. TTSX for a powder that i can't find data on? since 52K PSI doesn't flatten primers at all.

any one have a H4895 load for the 100gr. TTSX? i can find CFE223 which is a bit slower. i can interpolate. but this reloading stuff is rarely linear in relationship. charge weight to pressure.

i'll keep looking. thanks.
                -tdbru

p.s. as far as seating depth, magazine length constrains that
                What's your jump?

And what length does your mags allow?

Don't just assume 2.260 is max some mags allow longer like the ASC and CPD mags.

Comment

• 1Shot
                  Warrior
                  • Feb 2018

Sometimes we just have to face the fact that our rifle just does not like a certain bullet no matter what you try and should move on to something else. I had to do that with the Hornady 123 SST in both of my rifles.

Comment

• grayfox
                    Chieftain
                    • Jan 2017

Originally posted by tdbru View Post

td, don't be that "pioneer" guy with a powder but no data...
                    I want you to keep all your fingers, eyes, etc...

Maybe there's another bullet that can work for you...
                    the 100 nosler BT, or the 100 gr Hornady eldm, both have similar ballistics as the 100 ttsx.
                    BUT of course the all-copper bullet's loads will differ from a traditional cup/core bullet, I'm just suggesting maybe there is a bullet you could use instead of the ttsx for now, until you can get some Xbr.
                    Last edited by grayfox; 05-19-2020, 02:00 AM.

Comment

• JASmith
                      Chieftain
                      • Sep 2014

Last edited by JASmith; 05-19-2020, 02:06 AM.
                      shootersnotes.com

-- Author Unknown

Comment

• tdbru
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2019

Thanks guys. i can try other projectiles. was hoping to find a load for the 100gr. ttsx that worked in my mini Howa. perhaps when shelves get re-stocked i can give some of the other powder recommendations a try.
                        -tdbru

Comment

• Nordy55
                          Bloodstained
                          • Mar 2018

Comment

• Bobke
                            Warrior
                            • Dec 2015

A bit of light technical reading might be in order before abandoning the 100gr TTSX.

Find reloading guidelines and data for your Barnes Bullets products.

Comment

• grayfox
                              Chieftain
                              • Jan 2017

While Barnes has good info on its bullets, mine shoot best at 2.270. The jump is still pretty good b/c my AR's have more length than mag length will allow.

edit to add: adding that OAL is barrel-specific, after you find a good node then of course adjust for best grouping, that's the way I do it.
                              Last edited by grayfox; 05-20-2020, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X