• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Axelpozz
    Unwashed
    • May 2020

T7 Turret Primer Feature

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the forum. Just built a 6.5 Grendel from a howa mini action. So far awesome.
    I am trying to reload 6.5 grendel and not doing so badly but my issue is that the primer arm that pushes the primer into the case on my T7 turret has no instructions. I tried to change the cup out so that I could insert small rifle primers but I don't think I got the small screw, screwed in far enough and I am having trouble seating primers. Is there a how to anywhere on how to adjust the pin so that I can consistently get the primers into the case. I hope some of this makes sense.

Thanks
    Alex
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

AP:

I have owned a T-7 since they came on the market. It remains in my opinion the best single stage press ever made that uses a tool head. I too tried the priming system that came with the press and within an hour had removed it and tossed it into a box of spare parts for presses. Press mounted priming systems present real problems and for a single stage press, the best bet is to get a hand priming tool.

RCBS, Hornady, Frankford are all fine. Get one that uses a universal shell holder and that uses drums that contain 100 primers. Hand priming rifle ammo is a good idea because you can feel the primer seat.

LR55

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

Hand-held primers, roger +1.
      I do my reloading by batch operations, this also allows visual inspections at each stage.
      A hand primer also lets you feel the condition of the pocket the best, if it's too loose this is really the only practical way to find that out.
      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• A5BLASTER
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2015

Have to agree with these gents a handheld primer tool is the way to go.

Comment

• Old Bob
          Warrior
          • Oct 2019

I used to hand-seat primers with a Lee auto prime tool but the arthritis in my fingers makes it difficult to do that now days - fingers hurt like hell! Never could get the hang of using the priming systems that come with presses so I started using the RCBS APS Bench priming tool that feeds primers loaded in plastic strips. RCBS used to make an APS tool that mounted on a single stage press but I don't see them in the RCBS product pages anymore. I have the plastic strip loading tool as well. It's kinda klutzy to use but you get the hang of it in short order. The bench tool does have priming depth adjustment & it sorta gives you some feeling when seating primers, but not as well as a hand seating tool does. By all means, get yourself one of the hand tools. They're easy to use (if you don't have arthritis) & once you get a rhythm going it's quicker than you might think.

Buy APS Primer Strip Loader at RCBS, the leading producer of high-quality reloading equipment supplies for over 60 years.
          Last edited by Old Bob; 05-24-2020, 05:26 AM.
          I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• newb
            Warrior
            • Feb 2015

Not sure if this is what is happening to you but I have seen finicky alignment give grief.

Try using an FL die in combination with priming. Or do the die first and then the prime stroke.

Seems the die will align the shell with the primer holder and it should go smooth.

I have seen this across several different calibers of brass.

Comment

• Axelpozz
              Unwashed
              • May 2020

Thanks for all of the replies. I ended up getting an RCBS universal primer. It seems like it will work a lot better than the T7 Turret.

Comment

• LR1955
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Axelpozz View Post
                Thanks for all of the replies. I ended up getting an RCBS universal primer. It seems like it will work a lot better than the T7 Turret.
                AP:

You won't regret it. You will knock out 100 pieces of primed brass in a couple of minutes and each one you will feel seat completely and firmly into the primer pocket.

LR55

Comment

• FLshooter
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2019

Comment

Working...
                  X