• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kodiak
    Unwashed
    • Apr 2020

90 grain bullets

Shooting from a rest my BA 20 in barrel will group 123 grain bullets around 2 in at 100 yards. This includes Federal gold metal match, Hornady black and Hornady Gunner. I just tried out some Federal 90grain jhp tnt varmit which grouped around .75 inches. Has anyone else had good results with the lighter bullets? Its a 1 in 8 in twist and IAM wondering if it is just not stabilizing the heavier bullets

Thanks Cody
  • Whiskey59
    Unwashed
    • Feb 2020

I believe it has more to do with bullet shape than weight. Mine shoots the 90's well but struggling to shoot Hornady 123 ELD's . But 123 SMK looks good so far.

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

Many barrels do not like the 123 Sst bullets, but my BA 20" will do them (factory) into about 1.25", handloads I can get below 1". For those factory loads you mention I don't think it's the bullet so much as it's the powder/weight combo relative to your bbl.
      123AG is not an accuracy load, however for the 123 Eldm's are supposed to be.
      If you can handload then I would expect better accuracies.
      The 120 SMK is very easy to load for the Grrr.
      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2013

Yes, 90 gr. TNTs do well from my rifles. Very pleased with the accuracy.
        Kill a hog. Save the planet.
        My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• 1Shot
          Warrior
          • Feb 2018

In my experience of hand loading for 40 years, in general flat base bullets shoot more accurate inside 300 yards than boat tailed bullets. Or at least they are easier to get to shoot better. Some barrels just shoot anything and others are picky. I have two AR Grendel's with different make barrels and neither would shoot the Hornady 123 SST either in factory or ANY handload, of which I tried a good number, consistently under 1 1/2", Both will shoot 120 Speer Gold Dot or Sierra Pro Hunter sub MOA all day long. I picked up some Speer 90 TNT bullets to hand load but have not had the time to fool with them yet.

Comment

• Kodiak
            Unwashed
            • Apr 2020

Great info thank you gentlemen

Comment

• mel
              Chieftain
              • Nov 2019

I'm a huge fan of 90g tnts
              100y out of the Grendel @3050fps

And out of the bigger brother the 6.5 Creed @ just shy of 3500fps

Comment

• Kodiak
                Unwashed
                • Apr 2020

Hey good groups, thanks for the feedback.

Comment

• White Smoke
                  Bloodstained
                  • Dec 2019

I have half-inch groups going with the Speer 90 grain TNT, the Hornady 95 grain V-max and the Barnes 120 grain TTSX right now.

Comment

• Valjean
                    Bloodstained
                    • May 2019

My Grendel seems shoots the lighter bullets better.

Got a batch of 2nds 95g Vmax (Center). Was going to just mess around with them and use them for plinking. To my surprise they shoot better then factory 123 (eld and SST) and my hand load SST (Left) and GMX (Right)

30g CFE223 123 SST.png33g CFE223 Vmax 95g.png30.5g CFE223 GMX 120g.png

Comment

Working...
                    X