• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jewski_brewski
    Unwashed
    • May 2020

Hornady 129 grain Interlock SP and RL-15/Varget Load Recipe

Hello all,

I'm new to shooting/reloading for 6.5 Grendel and recently picked up a PSA 18" 1:8 twist upper for my AR. I'm planning on using this upper for deer/hog hunting, and recently received a box of Hornady 129 grain Interlock SP bullets in the mail from a Hornady rebate. I also have brand new Starline brass, CCI 400 primers, Federal Gold Match AR primers, RL-15, and Varget on hand. I'm looking to put together a hunting load using components I already have, since powders are pretty hard to come by right now. I downloaded the Hornady 10th Edition manual for 6.5 Grendel which lists charges for RL-15 and Varget, but I'd prefer not to do a ladder load since these are going to be hunting rounds used within 100-200 yards. I'm looking for load recipes with good results any of you may have with this bullet and RL-15 or Varget powders. Thanks in advance!
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Comment

• jewski_brewski
      Unwashed
      • May 2020

Yeah, I couldn't find many 6.5 Grendel load recipes that use RL-15 or Varget, and I figured there's a reason for it. Like I said, it's what I have on hand and powders are so hard to come by right now so I'd like to use what I have and save as much powder as possible by not doing ladder loads. I just need these rounds to be able to reliably kill game at short(er) distances. Thanks for the primer tip, I'll be sure to use the Federal GM ones.

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Comment

• 1Shot
          Warrior
          • Feb 2018

Like has been said Varget and RL15 will not give you very good velocity especially out of a 18" barrel. You will be between 2100 and 2200 fps at best and that does not provide enough velocity at impact to get very much expansion so be very aware of that. Don't get sucked into the thought that many do when they see figures stating that bullet X will expand down to a certain velocity which is usually 1800 fps. This means ANY expansion and that is normally just barely flattening the nose a little. Most of the load data that you find is done using 24" barrels and you loose quite a bit dropping down to 18".

Comment

• jewski_brewski
            Unwashed
            • May 2020

The Hornady Manual says maximum load for RL-15 and Varget will get 2,300 fps with that bullet and better powders will only get 2,350 fps. Based on that data, it seems like the powder isn't the issue so much as the bullet weight. This bullet is very tried and true though, and like I said they were free. Also, Hornady did their testing with an 18" barrel.

Comment

• JASmith
              Chieftain
              • Sep 2014

shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
              -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• Happy2Shoot
                Warrior
                • Nov 2018

Originally posted by jewski_brewski View Post
                The Hornady Manual says maximum load for RL-15 and Varget will get 2,300 fps with that bullet and better powders will only get 2,350 fps. Based on that data, it seems like the powder isn't the issue so much as the bullet weight. This bullet is very tried and true though, and like I said they were free. Also, Hornady did their testing with an 18" barrel.
                Page 106 says it is good down to 1600 muzzle velocity for hunting deer? I had excellent luck target shooting (half MOA 5 round group) with Varget and 130gr Berger Hybrid OTM.

Comment

• jewski_brewski
                  Unwashed
                  • May 2020

Thanks for the suggestions. I already bought one manual, and I'll admit that I'm looking for free load data at the moment. If you'd be willing to send some screenshots or links from those resources, it would be much appreciated.

Comment

• Lemonaid
                    Warrior
                    • Feb 2019

Link to Nosler 129 loads https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/65-grendel/
                    I have had good results with RL15 in the 120 grain bullets and have not had to use compressed loads, your mileage may vary.
                    Last edited by Lemonaid; 05-28-2020, 08:33 PM.

Comment

• JASmith
                      Chieftain
                      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by jewski_brewski View Post
                      Thanks for the suggestions. I already bought one manual, and I'll admit that I'm looking for free load data at the moment. If you'd be willing to send some screenshots or links from those resources, it would be much appreciated.
                      shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                      -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

Working...
                      X