• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nordy55
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2018

Bear bullet options.

what are everyone's thoughts for bullet options for black bear? Thinking 120 gold dots should be good since they are bonded. Maybe barnes.. i have 3 grendels one being a bolt gun. Thinking should be able to load them a little hotter then with a AR.
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

The search feature should turn up a few threads from guys that have used the grendel to kill black bear.

I think most used 123 amax, eld-m and sst factory ammo.

My thoughts if you can get the 1w0 gold dot going 2500 fps you will have all the killing power you should need.

Comment

• Dinny
      Warrior
      • Jun 2016

I would go with the Barnes 120gr TTSX.

Thanks, Dinny

Comment

• kpswihart
        Warrior
        • Dec 2016

Honestly, I'm not sure it matters - as long as it is a quality bullet. Any bullet you'd shoot a hog or deer with should be fine. As cliche as it sounds, shot placement is key. I've killed several bears while hunting and in my former profession. They're not particularly hard to kill, poke a hole in the lungs or put a round through the CNS and they die.

If I was going out to intentionally kill a bear, with a Grendel, I'd shoot the 129 ABLR. I have a good supply loaded and it shoots well in my 12" gun.
        Last edited by kpswihart; 05-31-2020, 11:30 AM.

Comment

• 1Shot
          Warrior
          • Feb 2018

If your rifles like the 120 Gold Dot then it is a win win situation. They are about the least expensive bullet and from the results I got from the one deer I shot with one you better have some help and a sharp knife if you put one in the vitals of a bear because the work will commence.

Comment

• Nordy55
            Bloodstained
            • Mar 2018

Originally posted by kpswihart View Post
            Honestly, I'm not sure it matters - as long as it is a quality bullet. Any bullet you'd shoot a hog or deer with should be fine. As cliche as it sounds, shot placement is key. I've killed several bears while hunting and in my former profession. They're not particularly hard to kill, poke a hole in the lungs or put a round through the CNS and they die.

If I was going out to intentionally kill a bear, with a Grendel, I'd shoot the 129 ABLR. I have a good supply loaded and it shoots well in my 12" gun.
            I tried those I bought 12 of them to try in the moa sample pack. Couldn't get them to shoot worth a crap with the charges I tried. Tried lvroulution 29.7 and 30.2 maybe try again. Want to shoot some at distance with jugs filled with wet newspaper

Comment

• kpswihart
              Warrior
              • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Nordy55 View Post
              I tried those I bought 12 of them to try in the moa sample pack. Couldn't get them to shoot worth a crap with the charges I tried. Tried lvroulution 29.7 and 30.2 maybe try again. Want to shoot some at distance with jugs filled with wet newspaper
              My data is packed away, but I think I was shooting just over 31 grains of CFE 223. I was generally around 1.5moa with that load, but it would shoot under a minute when I was able to hold the 12" gun steady.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2015

129 ablr and h4895 is straight money in my CZ grendel, only thing I wouldn't use it to kill would be grizz and buffalo.

Comment

• Nordy55
                  Bloodstained
                  • Mar 2018

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
                  129 ablr and h4895 is straight money in my CZ grendel, only thing I wouldn't use it to kill would be grizz and buffalo.
                  I like h4895 in my 223 and heavy bbukets works good.. what was your starting load if you don't mind be asking.. i have a 1/4 of a lb of h4895 might have to try some more loads.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2015

I like h4895 in my 223 and heavy bbukets works good.. what was your starting load if you don't mind be asking.. i have a 1/4 of a lb of h4895 might have to try some more loads.
                    26 grains if I remember correctly.

Comment

Working...
                    X