• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • northdude
    Bloodstained
    • May 2020

reloading for bolt action 6.5 grendel

hi guys sorry if this has been done to death but the search function hasnt bought anything up im not new to reloading but this is a new cartrige for me to reload im picking it might be a bit like the 22 hornet in how it reacts to small changes in powder charges
    so ive got some cfe223 as as far as ive been able to figure out its a pretty good powder to use
    ive got a bolt action howa mini the powder some 120 speer gold dots and some 90 tnts just to get up and running ive loaded some 120s with 30gr cfe 223 and some 90s with 32gr cfe does this sound ok to start off with
    cheers nd
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

No negitive.

Never start that high with any load are any rifle.

Drop those loads down to 27 grains and slowly work your way up never increasing more then 3 tenths of a grain per step up.

What tools do you have?

I suggest a chronagrah, the hornady tools for measuring jump to land distances and grab a few of the diffrent load manuals including the 2 book set made specifically for the grendel.

Also if you can get ar-comp powder you may find it's temp stability over cfe223 to be much better.

Comment

• northdude
      Bloodstained
      • May 2020

tools are press dies scales and a chronograph if i cant get cfe to work ill try some kind of adi powder as thats whats easy to get over here and can always get it id like to get the book set but at this stage with stuff happening over here it could be a hassel to get it anything remotely to do with firearms over here is under scruitiny but thats a whole new topic

Comment

• kmon
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2015

Agree with A5 on the .3gr steps, I have never loaded the Gold dot bullets so do not know much about them.

Speer does have some load data online for them but CFE is not included in their data.

Comment

• Rosecrans1
          Warrior
          • Feb 2019

I load the 120 Gold Dots with 8208xbr. They are surprisingly accurate out of both my AR and RAP. I do take the time to weigh and separate each 50 piece box I get as they do tend to have some variance but all in all, a great target and hunting round. I stepped away from CFE223 due to it's lack of temp stability in rounds I shoot all year long.

Comment

• northdude
            Bloodstained
            • May 2020

just an update if anyone is interested i went ahead with the above loads but forgot to take the chrony with me got little tiny groups with both loads at 100m so pretty happy with it

Comment

Working...
            X