Lyman Neck Expanding M Die for 6.5 Grendel. Anyone found a solution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Happy2Shoot
    Warrior
    • Nov 2018

Lyman Neck Expanding M Die for 6.5 Grendel. Anyone found a solution?

So far Lyman does not make a Neck Expanding M Die for 6.5 Grendel. And the 260 Rem is too tall. Anyone here crack this nut?

Could I buy this "30-30 WIN, 300 SAVAGE, 7.62X39 LYMAN NECK EXPANDING M DIE ASSEMBLY"
    And the 260 Rem, and use the 260 stem in the 7.62x39 body?

I assume there are some machinist that make their own?

Any ideas? Thanks.
  • LtDan
    Warrior
    • Sep 2017

I have seen people use a pin gauge and a RCBS pullet puller die that fits the pin to mandrel expand the neck. I machined my own using mandrel die using a C16 collet holder and a collet set and the correct pin gauges

Comment

• 1Shot
      Warrior
      • Feb 2018

Are you loading cast bullets? That is what the M-die is set up to expand just the mouth to allow the larger size of a cast bullet to seat without shaving lead. I have a Lee universal sizing die set that I use for expanding for loading cast bullets but have not loaded any for the 6.5 Grendel. This die has little cones that stack on top of each other that have different tapers. You place the cone with the taper that will work for what you want and place it on the bottom and then adjust the die to give the bell on the case mouth you want.

Comment

• Mad Charlie
        Warrior
        • May 2017

M dies work very well with flat base jacketed bullets, as well as lead bullets. A little kiss of taper crimp to smooth out the case neck (similar to loading .45 ACP) after seating is necessary. I had to machine my own mandrel for a M die that I already had.

Comment

• stubshaft
          Bloodstained
          • Jun 2020

NOE Bullet Molds makes their own version of an "M" die expanding mandrel. They come in a number of different size and all you need to use it is a standard Lee expanding die body, the mandrel drops right in. The mandrels were running around $6.50 each last I checked.
          Joe
          If I agreed with you, then we'd both be wrong.

Comment

• tdbru
            Warrior
            • Dec 2019

H2S,
            i often switch lyman "M" die expanders into both long and short bodied seating or expanding dies. typically all the newer dies from the same brand use mostly the same parts. so if you have a newer style RCBS 7.62x39 or maybe even a RCBS 308 Win length seater die, pull the seater stem out and thread in the lyman M stem and you're good to go. or even with a pistol die body, like a 44Mag or 45 Colt pull the expander stem and thread in the "M"die stem, and you're good to go. of course you'll have to adjust both the die body lock ring and the stem depth for the die body and press you're using. i think lyman also makes a pistol body length 44Mag or 45 Colt seater that you could pull the seater stem out and thread in the "M" die stem and you're on your way.
            -tdbru

Comment

• Happy2Shoot
              Warrior
              • Nov 2018

Thanks for the ideas.

Comment

• Happy2Shoot
                Warrior
                • Nov 2018

Originally posted by stubshaft View Post
                NOE Bullet Molds makes their own version of an "M" die expanding mandrel. They come in a number of different size and all you need to use it is a standard Lee expanding die body, the mandrel drops right in. The mandrels were running around $6.50 each last I checked.
                Joe

So just buy these two things? Too easy, thanks!

Comment

Working...
                X