• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lemonaid
    Warrior
    • Feb 2019

Varget revisted?

Is it time to give Varget a second look for 6.5 Grendel? It is the go to powder for the 6mm Dasher, a top choice for 6AR and 6 ARC, plus many others but for the 6.5 Grendel it is chopped liver for some reason.
    I plan on testing some of the 120's with Varget, starting with the Sierra 120 Pro Hunter. I can fit 29.5 grains into a Lapua case with no compression at 2.270". Sierra's web data max = 28.0 grains at 2.135" so I am wondering did they stop there to avoid compression? (My test was 27.7 grains would start compression at 2.182")
    Before I go beyond the Max Sierra Load, I request from some kind vile horde member who has quickLOAD to run the numbers so that I can keep my face from being blown off!
    Sierra 120 Pro Hunter, Varget, Lapua case, CCI 450 primer seated to 2.270 or 2.280 say 29.0 grains?
    I know others have tried Varget and found it lacking, if you have that data handy it would be a great help if you would share it here.
    Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Lemonaid; 06-22-2020, 02:14 PM. Reason: looked at wrong load
  • Klem
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Lemon,

Would not be my first choice of powder in such a small case, and for short barrels. It's slower than the usual and more bulky. You will hit compressed and still be below SAAMI.

120Sierra SP; 2.28"OAL; 29gn Varget; 35.9gns water (Lapua); 103% full (compressed); 50.5K lbs pressure; 2,440fps. Although still under SAAMI don't go any higher because you will be struggling to fit any more in. It's just too bulky.

Comment

• Code4
      Bloodstained
      • Nov 2019

I got repeatable sub MOA accuracy with the Sierra 120 and (2208) Varget at 27.5 grains OAL of 2.265 in my 20"Howa.
      My suspect chrono indicated velocity around 2,205.
      Last edited by Code4; 06-22-2020, 09:56 AM.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Lemonaid View Post
        Is it time to give Varget a second look for 6.5 Grendel? It is the go to powder for the 6mm Dasher, a top choice for 6AR and 6 ARC, plus many others but for the 6.5 Grendel it is chopped liver for some reason.
        I plan on testing some of the 120's with Varget, starting with the Sierra 120 Pro Hunter. I can fit 29.5 grains into a Lapua case with no compression at 2.270". Sierra's web data max = 27.7 grains at 2.135" so I am wondering did they stop there to avoid compression? (My test was 27.7 grains would start compression at 2.182")
        Before I go beyond the Max Sierra Load, I request from some kind vile horde member who has quickLOAD to run the numbers so that I can keep my face from being blown off!
        Sierra 120 Pro Hunter, Varget, Lapua case, CCI 450 primer seated to 2.270 or 2.280 say 29.0 grains?
        I know others have tried Varget and found it lacking, if you have that data handy it would be a great help if you would share it here.
        Thanks in advance!
        You literally can't put enough varget in the grendel case to make it a dangerous load. It will be so compressed it will push the bullet back out the case.

Comment

• Lemonaid
          Warrior
          • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Klem View Post
          Lemon,

Would not be my first choice of powder in such a small case, and for short barrels. It's slower than the usual and more bulky. You will hit compressed and still be below SAAMI.

120Sierra SP; 2.28"OAL; 29gn Varget; 35.9gns water (Lapua); 103% full (compressed); 50.5K lbs pressure; 2,440fps. Although still under SAAMI don't go any higher because you will be struggling to fit any more in. It's just too bulky.
          Much appreciated Klem, thanks! First off I mistakenly used the data from the 123 Sierra section, the real max for Varget for the 120's is 28.0 grains which gave them 2450 fps. So according to the web data you get about an extra 100 fps for each 1.1 extra grains which should yield me around 2550 or so. I'll test this out next range day and post the results, if I get to 2500 fps that's on par with a lot of popular Grendel powders.
          A fun experiment in any event!

Comment

• sundowner
            Chieftain
            • Nov 2017

Interested in your results , Varget is my go to powder for my 308 PA10 .

Comment

• jbmarshtx
              Bloodstained
              • Dec 2017

The 108 scenar is the same geometry as the 123 I think. I used the 108s in my 700 bolt action for silhouette. The gunsmith I am sure used a SAAMI reamer, but I am not mag length limited. Here is a load that I've used, and I have some crunching. This may have been on new brass without any vibratory settling, etc.

I agree though that with too much compression, the COAL/CBTO whichever you will use may not be that consistent since you may end up pushing the bullet back out as A5B said.

108 Scenar loaded to 2.28
              27.8 grains Varget, light compression
              2420 fps

Comment

• Ronincjn
                Unwashed
                • Jan 2019

Lehigh has Varget listed under there 110 controlled chaos at a 29gr Max; 2400FPS. Was thinking of giving it a shot, anybody else have experience with this combo?

Comment

• Bigs28
                  Chieftain
                  • Feb 2016

Ive hunted with the 110g controlled chaos and never will again. Great target bullet, very accurate, but by design no exit, no blood trail.

Comment

• Lemonaid
                    Warrior
                    • Feb 2019

Last edited by Lemonaid; 06-28-2020, 03:15 AM. Reason: Added monster 20 data

Comment

Working...
                    X