• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PVBoom
    Warrior
    • Oct 2017

Why do Lee dies get slagged so much here

I bought some Lee dies for reloading. When I read around here, they seem to be the last choice for a bunch of people.

Is there a specific reason for this?
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

The jist is they over size and over work the brass, causing premature end to case life and split case necks.

Comment

• FLshooter
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2019

Last edited by FLshooter; 06-23-2020, 01:38 AM.

Comment

• Klem
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

PV,

If you have the Lee's already why not load a few rounds and see where they sit relative to other dies. This will answer your question with proof.

If you could take four measurements to add to the attached table we can compare across brands what the die is doing and what you need from your die;

1. Measure the outside neck (OD) of a fired case with calipers.
        2. Then unscrew the primer stem from the die and size the case (the spent primer will still be in). Measure the OD of the neck again.
        3. Then screw the stem back in, re-lube the case and size as normal. Measure the OD neck.
        4. Load a bullet and measure the OD of the neck.

What this will do give you the total compression and expansion range of your brass. How thick your brass is at the neck, and what neck tension your bullets are being held. You can compare against two other brands and decide whether to keep the Lee or trade-up.

I prefer Forster without the expander. This configuration works the brass the least of the two brands in the table and imparts the neck tension I need for an auto loader.

Obviously you need to knock the old primer out but unless your brass has been dented badly in the mouth an expander is a nice to have, not a have to have. I've noticed no degradation of accuracy since taking it out.
        Last edited by Klem; 06-23-2020, 11:48 PM.

Comment

• 1Shot
          Warrior
          • Feb 2018

I have been using the Lee dies to load my Grendel and have no issues other than after 5 or 6 loadings some of the Hornady cases necks start to crack. I do not anneal so that could be part of the problem. I found a set of Hornady dies to give a try but have not had the time yet As far as Lee dies go I have loaded with about everyone's make of die over the past 40 years and they all have their quirks now and then. I have no problem with Lee except their locking rings that don't lock.

Comment

• Klem
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

1shot,

If you want to do these measurements too that would be helpful. It will only take a few minutes. That way we can all see the difference between dies and make decisions for ourselves. If anyone has another brand they want to add to the table that will also be helpful.

Comment

• kmon
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2015

On the lee lock rings I replace Lee and most other makers with the Hornady lock rings, I like the way they lock on better than RCBS or the others, I have most of the makers dies and some that are no longer in business as well. The 2 dies from Lee that I use most are a couple couple collet dies and several factory crimp dies. Most of my handgun cartridge dies are Lee nd never had an issue with them.

I have not tried the Lee Grendel dies from Lee, started with Hornady there and will keep using them.

I have had RCBS and Hornady dies that I have had to return for various reasons they replaced the dies without issue.

For the OP since you already have the Lee dies give them a try and measure some like Kle said. You can also check another measurement on the necks take the decapper/expandera out of the die and see what the neck inside diameter is, and report, what comes to mind if people are having problems with necks splitting perhaps the Lee dies are sizing smaller on the neck then expanding more as a result sizing the neck more than needed.

Comment

• PVBoom
                Warrior
                • Oct 2017

Thanks for the responses.

I will do as you suggest, Klem, once I get my rifle assembled, etc.

I also have Lee die sets for .223 and .308. Are these also known to have issues, or is it just the .264 set(s)?

Comment

• Mad Charlie
                  Warrior
                  • May 2017

Lee is a crapshoot with most everything they make. Sometimes sevens, most times snake eyes.

Comment

• Klem
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2013

I use their collet dies in three other calibres and they work for me. You don't need to lube the cases, just on the outside of the collet so it doesn't bind. Collet dies neck-size only so are no good for auto loaders. Like kmon I also use Lee dies in the Dillon progressive for 9mm. You don't need the same level of precision for handgun and I've had those dies for decades. The Lee Loadmaster press I started off with was more trouble that it was worth. Kept breaking.

I don't have the same brand loyalty or hatred that some others have but for full length sizing I would be cautious. We will find out shortly when the numbers come in anyway. There's another thread not long ago where the numbers show the Lee die he had was over-working cases to an early grave.

Last edited by Klem; 06-23-2020, 02:39 PM.

Comment

• ported45
                      Warrior
                      • Feb 2018

I like Lee's collet neck sizers, but standard bottle-neck sizing dies I do not trust. I got a set for 7mm Mag to reload for a buddy and was trying to reload someone else's once-fired brass. The Lee sizing die would not size down enough to let the brass chamber in his rifle. Ordered a set from Hornady and problem was fixed.

Comment

• DDRanch
                        Warrior
                        • Jul 2017

You get what you pay for.

I use mostly Redding dies for rifle reloading. But I do use the Lee factory crimp dies on all my pistol and most of my rifle reloading.

Comment

• Mesa1978
                          Warrior
                          • May 2015

The collet dies in other calibers for bolt actions are serviceable but don't really offer me any more performance; accuracy/brass life vs. FL resize with Redding S dies.

Comment

• Code4
                            Bloodstained
                            • Nov 2019

I've had good and bad dies in a lot of different brands. As a general rule the more you pay the less chance of a dud. The only way is to measure the results. I have good Lee dies and a bad Forster die.

Comment

• SDW
                              Warrior
                              • Jul 2018

Originally posted by 1Shot View Post
                              I have been using the Lee dies to load my Grendel and have no issues other than after 5 or 6 loadings some of the Hornady cases necks start to crack. I do not anneal so that could be part of the problem. I found a set of Hornady dies to give a try but have not had the time yet As far as Lee dies go I have loaded with about everyone's make of die over the past 40 years and they all have their quirks now and then. I have no problem with Lee except their locking rings that don't lock.
                              I just caught wind of these new Lee locking rings. They have to lock better than the older/basic type, and they are a lot less expensive than the Hornadys, thus easier to swap out for many sets of dies:

Comment

Working...
                              X