Hornady Amax bullets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grendel-Gene

that was my thinking.... just wanted to be sure.

Comment

• Grendel-Gene

So... using Lapua Brass, 27 grains of 8208, with a 123 Amax bullets seated at 2.245 oal, shot through a 18 inch Satern Barrel... what muzzle velocities should i realistically expect? Thanks

Comment

• mtn_shooter

I'd guess around 2400-2450 fps. 28.4 gives me 2510-2520 or so with my 18". I vaguely remember load development from a couple years back, and not much was below 2450.

Your cut-rifled barrel may shoot a bit faster than my button rifled barrel, however.

Comment

• Grendel-Gene

i can use 2450 for my calculations then.... thanks.

Comment

Just received my Hornady OAL Guage, I have a Sabre Defence MK 4, 16" Factor Barrel. I have been shooting the 123 AMax a 2.265 OAL with good results, 5/8" 5 shot groups with 2520.
            I tried the OAL tool and after 5 times I come up with the same info, touching the lands at 2.378", that is a long throat. If I load rounds at .040 off the lands it still 2.338", dont know the max OAL a magazine will take. Thats out .073 " more than the present 2.265 OAL. Would be great for the bullet as it's not deep in the case but I still can't beleive the results. I have been in the reloading game for since the late 60's and have shot a lot of Bench Rest in the past, so I know my numbers are good. I have a good friend that has the same rifle, we got them at the same time, he has the same OAL Guage and with the 123 AMax his touches the lands at 2.274,
            big difference. Any ideas on this.

Comment

• Drifter
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Richard View Post
              Just received my Hornady OAL Guage, I have a Sabre Defence MK 4, 16" Factor Barrel. I have been shooting the 123 AMax a 2.265 OAL with good results, 5/8" 5 shot groups with 2520.
              I tried the OAL tool and after 5 times I come up with the same info, touching the lands at 2.378", that is a long throat. If I load rounds at .040 off the lands it still 2.338", dont know the max OAL a magazine will take. Thats out .073 " more than the present 2.265 OAL. Would be great for the bullet as it's not deep in the case but I still can't beleive the results. I have been in the reloading game for since the late 60's and have shot a lot of Bench Rest in the past, so I know my numbers are good. I have a good friend that has the same rifle, we got them at the same time, he has the same OAL Guage and with the 123 AMax his touches the lands at 2.274,
              big difference. Any ideas on this.
              Supposedly, the 123 was designed with the Grendel in mind. It's a very forgiving bullet to load. If you're getting near half moa loaded to 2.265, I wouldn't worry about it too much. And FWIW, I usually get better accuracy at ~2.250. I think factory ammo is loaded even shorter, and it usually shoots well in most barrels.

AA's chamber design might be a factor as well.
              Last edited by Drifter; 08-23-2012, 08:56 PM. Reason: clarity
              Drifter

Comment

• Dogue
                Warrior
                • Mar 2011

Richard, you're getting 5/8" groups now with a semiauto, what's the issue?

The Grendel has a compound throat and I believe that helps increase accuracy on the shorter loads and keeps you safely off the lands on the longer loads. You can always try single loading longer rounds if you'd like to see if it affects your groups, but 2.265-2.270 is the longest most mags can take.
                Μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

• pinzgauer
                  Warrior
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
                  Supposedly, the 123 was designed with the Grendel in mind. It's a very forgiving bullet to load. If you're getting near half moa loaded to 2.265, I wouldn't worry about it too much. And FWIW, I usually get better accuracy at ~2.250. I think factory ammo is loaded even shorter, and it usually shoots well in most barrels.

AA's chamber design might be a factor as well.
                  With proper Grendel chambers the Factory 123 AMAX shoots so accurate that I just set my 123 AMAX loads to be the same. It is a bit shorter than I would have done based on calculations, but works well. But I'm not trying for benchrest type accuracy lately like I did when I was shooting a bull barrel grendel.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogue View Post
                    Richard, you're getting 5/8" groups now with a semiauto, what's the issue?

The Grendel has a compound throat and I believe that helps increase accuracy on the shorter loads and keeps you safely off the lands on the longer loads. You can always try single loading longer rounds if you'd like to see if it affects your groups, but 2.265-2.270 is the longest most mags can take.
                    No issue with the accuaracy, just find interesting that it shoots that good at .113 off the lands. Will pull the chrongraph out and check some single shot loads seated out and compare them with the 2.265 OAL loads. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
                      No issue with the accuaracy, just find interesting that it shoots that good at .113 off the lands. Will pull the chrongraph out and check some single shot loads seated out and compare them with the 2.265 OAL loads. Thanks
                      Richard,

Just be mindful of any high pressure signs when seating them that far out. Im sure you know that, just saying.

Comment

Thanks, I did think about that, will probably drop down 1.5 grains for starters. Will also drop a dummy round in the chamber to see how it locks up.

Comment

I had the same jamming experience with the Amax 120g. I shot a lot of rounds and finally ended up where most of the posts state: 123g AMax and 8208 gave me the most consistant rounds especially with temp changes. Good luck.

Comment

• Dogue
                            Warrior
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by AZloader View Post
                            I had the same jamming experience with the Amax 120g. I shot a lot of rounds and finally ended up where most of the posts state: 123g AMax and 8208 gave me the most consistant rounds especially with temp changes. Good luck.
                            The 120 Amax has a much fatter ogive and can't be loaded very long at all...many on here avoid that bullet since there are many better choices available.
                            Μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Working...
                            X