• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • danm
    Warrior
    • Aug 2014

Velocities?

So just watched Kotaboys Youtube on why 6ARC is better than 6.5G and commented that his 18"G velocities are WAY low and definitely skewed his whole ballistic sight data...

What says the Hoard?

• kcb38
    Warrior
    • Jun 2017

Great minds... That's exactly why I just checked in here, lol.
    - Kirk -

Comment

• bruceleroy
      Bloodstained
      • Dec 2015

He is so far off on what everyone else should expect that it really seems he is being paid to state those charts. His Grendel and 308 numbers are ridiculously low in what seems an obvious attempt to influence more for the 6 ARC.

Comment

• Nordy55
        Bloodstained
        • Mar 2018

So 108 gr 6mm vs 123 gr 6.5 bullet.. maybe try the 107 TMK vs the 108 eld... almost apples to apples with gr wt in similar specs..

Comment

• biodsl
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2011

2370 for a 123 grain out of an 18" barrel does seem slow. Even American Gunner shoots 2430 out of my AA 16". My handload of 31.2 grains of CFE shoots 2430 to 2530 depending on ambient temperature.
          Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• danm
            Warrior
            • Aug 2014

Full Disclosure, I DO intend to transition my 18"G DMR build to 6ARC only because it's my oldest barrel and the long range drop and wind deflection are appealing

Comment

• Bfglowkee
              Warrior
              • Jan 2019

Marketing and influencing 101: Take the lowest numbers of the product you are wanting to bring down and compare it to the highest numbers of your new shiny product. Its not "lying" since those numbers are published, your just comparing them in a specific light.
              Now what they did is take the most common weight the Grendel shoots ( 123 )but take one of the slowest projectiles they could find load data for and post the lightest charge from their reloading data. Then they took the shiny new ARC and their target projectile to use and grabbed the highest, safe velocity they got in their tests.
              Its a common slight of hand that we see everywhere and in these current times....all over our news. Smart shooters will see it for what it is and really the ARC either grabs your interest or it doesn't. We will have a large influx of ARC vs Grendel or any other AR 15 platform and we can see what hard data looks like from a avg shooters angle.
              Still will use the Grendel for bigger game and if/when I grab an ARC, will probably keep it for smaller stuff and fun at distances. But then again I will probably build it as a Bolt rifle firs cause I am silly like that.

Comment

• imaguy3
                Warrior
                • Mar 2018

Originally posted by biodsl View Post
                My handload of 31.2 grains of CFE shoots 2430 to 2530 depending on ambient temperature.
                What kind of temp swings are we talking?!

My load with 8208xbr stays within 25fps from 50* to 100*

Comment

• Grendelshooter
                  Warrior
                  • Jun 2017

Originally posted by imaguy3 View Post

Comment

• biodsl
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2011

Originally posted by imaguy3 View Post

A 45 degree swing. I suspect this is why some folks don't appreciate CFE. I've contemplated developing a 'summer' load but never have. Most of my shooting is done in the winter months.
                    Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• imaguy3
                      Warrior
                      • Mar 2018

yeah, I just didn't realize it'd be that much.

Comment

• danm
                        Warrior
                        • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Bfglowkee View Post
                        Marketing and influencing 101: Take the lowest numbers of the product you are wanting to bring down and compare it to the highest numbers of your new shiny product. Its not "lying" since those numbers are published, your just comparing them in a specific light.
                        Now what they did is take the most common weight the Grendel shoots ( 123 )but take one of the slowest projectiles they could find load data for and post the lightest charge from their reloading data. Then they took the shiny new ARC and their target projectile to use and grabbed the highest, safe velocity they got in their tests.
                        Its a common slight of hand that we see everywhere and in these current times....all over our news. Smart shooters will see it for what it is and really the ARC either grabs your interest or it doesn't. We will have a large influx of ARC vs Grendel or any other AR 15 platform and we can see what hard data looks like from a avg shooters angle.
                        Still will use the Grendel for bigger game and if/when I grab an ARC, will probably keep it for smaller stuff and fun at distances. But then again I will probably build it as a Bolt rifle firs cause I am silly like that.

Great post, pretty much what I was surmising!

Comment

• ErikS
                          Warrior
                          • Dec 2017

I called him out on it in the comments and clearly stated he was obviously selling the ARC. In his response to he seemed to take offense, but acknowledged his number was low.

His video was not a valid comparison at all and comes across as a bogus Hornady advertisement.
                          #shareyourspare

Comment

• danm
                            Warrior
                            • Aug 2014

Originally posted by ErikS View Post
                            I called him out on it in the comments and clearly stated he was obviously selling the ARC. In his response to he seemed to take offense, but acknowledged his number was low.

His video was not a valid comparison at all and comes across as a bogus Hornady advertisement.
                            Yeah inputting those low velocities for the Grendel completely negates his whole premise! I do think 6ARC will have it's place for long range but my shorties (11.5 and 12.5) especially will stay Grendel for life

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by danm View Post
                              Yeah inputting those low velocities for the Grendel completely negates his whole premise! I do think 6ARC will have it's place for long range but my shorties (11.5 and 12.5) especially will stay Grendel for life
                              That was my thinking as well. Already have a long barreled bolt grendel and 2 handloads that can reach 1000 yards very well.

So I was going to do a 12 or 12.5 inch ARC, then I got to looking at some real life speeds and looking at bullet options for hunting and I quickly came to the realisation that ARC won't do anything better for hunting, then what my 12 inch grendel can do now.

So I'm out the ARC game all together.

Comment

Working...
                              X