• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Happy2Shoot
    Warrior
    • Nov 2018

Originally posted by Briano23 View Post
    But my dilemma is the resing process with the mandrel removed is sizing the neck more then I want. What am I doing wrong.
    Thanks
    Briano
    Incorrect statement. Your die sizes your necks the same, with or with out the mandrel. Size-dies squeeze necks down a lot. Die makers don't know how thin or thick you brass necks are. Then the button is dragged back out of the case, expanding the neck 0.003" or so under bullet diameter. I use a M-die on my press during the loading process and skip the button in the resizing operation. What is your OD with a bullet seated?
    Last edited by Happy2Shoot; 07-08-2020, 10:39 PM.

Comment

• Klem
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Happy2Shoot View Post
      Incorrect statement. Your die sizes your necks the same, with or with out the mandrel. Size-dies squeeze necks down a lot. Die makers don't know how thin or thick you brass necks are. Then the button is dragged back out of the case, expanding the neck 0.003" or so under bullet diameter. I use a M-die on my press during the loading process and skip the button in the resizing operation. What is your OD with a bullet seated?
      Happy,

I don't think this is an issue of correct or not, you both seem to understand what is happening.

The crush without the stem is different depending on the manufacturer, and this imparts different neck tensions also depending on how thick your brass is at the neck .

These are my measurements based on Lapua brass which loads to an OD of .2900"

Forster
      With expander, neck OD .2865. Neck tension is .0035"
      Without expander, neck OD .2860. Neck tension is .004"

Redding
      With expander, neck OD .2895. Neck tension is .0005" (too light for an auto loader)
      Without expander, neck OD .2800. Neck tension is .01" (too severe to be usable)

The Redding works the neck more than the Forster.

For AR's we need neck tension so .004" is the Forster without the expander.
      For bolt guns I would prefer the Redding with the expander, .0005", although the Forster with expander would work too.

I understand Lee works necks even more than these two.

Brian, what die to you currently have?
      Last edited by Klem; 07-09-2020, 01:21 AM.

Comment

• Briano23
        Warrior
        • Jul 2019

Right now I'm looking for a 6.5 Grendel Full Lenght die I have the FORSTER ULTRA MICROMETER SEATER DIE FOR 6.5 GRENDEL, but I have on order the Forster FL die for 6.5 but this die is 12 weeks out before delivery. so I 'm contemplating purchase purchase a second FL die but not sure which one for the 6.5 grendel.
        My 308 Dies are Redding National Match die set I also use a Lee Collet neck die for this as well.

Comment

• Klem
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

Right now I'm looking for a 6.5 Grendel Full Length die I have the FORSTER ULTRA MICROMETER SEATER DIE FOR 6.5 GRENDEL, but I have on order the Forster FL die for 6.5 but this die is 12 weeks out before delivery. so I 'm contemplating purchase purchase a second FL die but not sure which one for the 6.5 grendel.
          My 308 Dies are Redding National Match die set I also use a Lee Collet neck die for this as well.
          Brian,

I like those Collet dies also. It's the only Lee die I will recommend, for bolt guns only of course. I ran the .223 Collet's stem in a drill press with sand paper for a little more neck tension so that's always an option. You have to slim the whole stem, not just the area where the collet jaws clamp the neck, to be able to get the case off after sizing.

You have my measurements above but there's no guarantee buying the same again will be the exactly the same dimensions (although I imagine they will be close). The other guys know their dies too so I'm sure we can narrow it down.

Comment

• Briano23
            Warrior
            • Jul 2019

Klem, thanks can you suggest fl die till my forster comes in.

Comment

• jasper2408
              Warrior
              • Jan 2019

Might take a look at Mighty Armory dies. They are the best that I have used so far. Just my .02.

Comment

• Klem
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2013

Klem, thanks can you suggest fl die till my forster comes in.
                Not really, I'm a Redding and Forster fan...any one on the shelf will do if its only for 3 months.

Comment

• Briano23
                  Warrior
                  • Jul 2019

Thank you.

Comment

• tdbru
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2019

these are pretty plain jane, and not bushing dies. they might get you by if you don't have a FL sizing die already, but i thought you did.

Comment

• Briano23
                      Warrior
                      • Jul 2019

I talked to Wayne very nice and assured me I would be disappointed with the Full length die he said will annealed brass you can expect 0.0005 to .001 run out with a neck tension of 0.001" to 0.002" for neck tension depending on the type of brass used..
                      Sound Good what do you think.

Comment

• jasper2408
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2019

I talked to Wayne very nice and assured me I would be disappointed with the Full length die he said will annealed brass you can expect 0.0005 to .001 run out with a neck tension of 0.001" to 0.002" for neck tension depending on the type of brass used..
                        Sound Good what do you think.
                        I am assuming you mean Wayne at Might Armory and that you would not be disappointed with the Full Length die then he is correct. I am getting less than half the runout that he stated when I use Imperial Wax and only coat the body, neck, and inside neck and not any on the shoulders. This is on Lapua brass and I bump the shoulders 1.5/1000" and I only do this for my bolt guns and don't get as anal with my AR. They are kinda expensive but I think they are worth it for their precision.

Hope this helped you.

Comment

• Briano23
                          Warrior
                          • Jul 2019

Yes it was Wayne at Mighty armory and I decided to replace my .308 full length die as well and he gave me a discount for buying 2 dies.
                          I look forward to seeing how well the die work.
                          Again thanks all for your kind help.
                          Briano

Comment

Working...
                          X