X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Klem
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

The only time I deprime before cleaning is when wet cleaning, and for that I have a Lee Universal depriming die screwed into the press. Wet cleaning is a rare event in the Klem household. The reason primers come out is to help dry the cases when the hair dryer goes to work. Hot air can flow through the case with holes at either end - that's the theory anyway.

For the rest of the time which is most of the time it's dry tumbling with the primers in. Then load as normal. Over years of using the same dies I have not seen any degradation in accuracy or wear of the dies from leaving the spent primers in...just saying.

Comment

• FLshooter
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2019

^^^^^^^^^^
      That I can understand.

Comment

• Mad Charlie
        Warrior
        • May 2017

I do the same as Klem, more or less. I do wet tumble occasionally, but since I have installed brass catchers on all of my AR platforms and the cases no longer land in the dirt, I just wipe them down with a rag with a little mineral spirits or denatured alcohol. Then through the sizer as usual. I wet tumble after a batch has three firings to get the pockets clean, and generally spiffy up the cases a little. I use a cheap de-priming die to de-prime before a wet tumble. If I de-prime with my Co-Ax the residues just drop down the tube into the primer catcher.

In the days before brass catchers, I would de-prime a batch of cases and put them in an empty coffee container with hot water and a tablespoon of Simple Green Industrial and shake it up with the lid on then rinse well and dry in the oven. Still do that sometimes.
        Doesn't get the pockets any cleaner though, just a quick and easy way to clean up the cases before sizing. Cleans em up after sizing too.
        Last edited by Mad Charlie; 07-10-2020, 11:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X