31.2 2,689
    31.4 2,829 slight ejector smearing
    Cool thank you.
    "One Good Shot Is All I Need."

Comment

• Mad Charlie
      Warrior
      • May 2017

Are you really seeing a 140fps jump with 2 tenths increase? Seems like would be good to stay at 31.2.

Comment

• riuma
        Warrior
        • Jun 2018

Originally posted by Mad Charlie View Post
        Are you really seeing a 140fps jump with 2 tenths increase? Seems like would be good to stay at 31.2.
        I am getting about 2700 fps with slightly more powder using a 120. I'm not certain this powder is that peaky. The load is still a grain under MAX with that bullet weight. An anomaly, perhaps?~Riuma

Comment

• pinetreebbs
          Warrior
          • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Mad Charlie View Post
          Thanks, I checked my notes again, the charge was 31.5, the FPS was what I recorded.

Comment

• riuma
            Warrior
            • Jun 2018

Originally posted by pinetreebbs View Post
            Thanks, I checked my notes again, the charge was 31.5, the FPS was what I recorded.
            How many rounds averaged that speed? I'm asking because I shoot a lot of this powder at that charge weight and have never come close to 2800 fps from 25 inch barrels.~Ruima

Comment

• pinetreebbs
              Warrior
              • Nov 2013

Originally posted by riuma View Post
              How many rounds averaged that speed? I'm asking because I shoot a lot of this powder at that charge weight and have never come close to 2800 fps from 25 inch barrels.~Ruima
              Ten, it was at least 90+ degrees F using new Starline Brass. I used my Labradar Chronograph, all loads tested that were file 142, I kept deleting and recreating the same file. The spread was 47 and the SD was 17.7 roughly twice the previous load tests, so there i that. I did't care because it wasn't accurate so there was no point to investigate further. i was pretty happy with 30.3 and 2,580 FPS.

Comment

• riuma
                Warrior
                • Jun 2018

Originally posted by pinetreebbs View Post
                Ten, it was at least 90+ degrees F using new Starline Brass. I used my Labradar Chronograph, all loads tested that were file 142, I kept deleting and recreating the same file. The spread was 47 and the SD was 17.7 roughly twice the previous load tests, so there i that. I did't care because it wasn't accurate so there was no point to investigate further. i was pretty happy with 30.3 and 2,580 FPS.
                Thirty and a half is my "target" load with a 123 Custom Competition. Superb accuracy.
                Ten shots over 2800. Interesting. Doubt it was the heat as I've shot them at 90+ myself. ~Riuma.

Comment

• FRB6.5
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2018

Starline has less case capacity IIRC, may be where the difference is.

Comment

• g2sws
                    Unwashed
                    • Apr 2020

Just an update. Between rain outs and just recently getting the chicken pox at 58 yrs old. I have 50 test rounds loaded of Speer 120 gr gold dots with charges of shooters World match. As soon as chicken pox pass I will shoot and publish data. Who gets chicken pox at 58?

Comment

• JDub
                      Bloodstained
                      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by g2sws View Post
                      Just an update. Between rain outs and just recently getting the chicken pox at 58 yrs old. I have 50 test rounds loaded of Speer 120 gr gold dots with charges of shooters World match. As soon as chicken pox pass I will shoot and publish data. Who gets chicken pox at 58?
                      Sorry to hear about your condition. I'm waiting with baited breath as I've just ordered some of the gold dots and am extremely interested to see your results. Get well soon!

Comment

• pinetreebbs
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2013

Originally posted by g2sws View Post
                        Oh man, I hope you don't get the shingles! Get well and get out to shoot.

Comment

• jasper2408
                          Warrior
                          • Jan 2019

I recently went out to do some BTO testing with Match Rifle powder using Hornady 123gr HPBT and found that 1.758" and 1.756" BTO were the best for me with 30.1gr of Match Rifle powder in my rifle. Somebody on here put up some targets showing how the the group size shrank and then opened back up as the BTO changed and I can say that is exactly what happened to me. I only shot 3 shot groups as I changed .002" BTO length between groups and went all the way back to 1.740" so there were a lot of groups to fire. This gave me .012"-.014" off of the lands for the best groups and everything fit in the mag with no problems. One group opened up to 1.190" but all of the other groups were in the .540-.660" size. I did notice that the group size started to shrink again at the 1.742" BTO and there might be something else there but I haven't tested any further. I am surprised that I was able to get such good results as I am 68 years young and by the time I got to the last groups I was seeing pink elephants out by the target.

I used Starline brass and Rem 7 1/2 primers for this test. My rifle is a Howa Miniaction Chassis with the 20" barrel with a VG6 Lambda brake on it.

I put up a ladder using Match rifle powder a while back on here that I did with my AR and I was using Match Rifle powder and CCI450 primers and I was getting 100fps differences between some of the .2gr load differences so I switched to Rem 7 1/2 and that seemed to smooth it out a lot on both rifles.

EDIT: Went back and checked my data and I am getting around 2490fps with the Starline brass and with Hornady brass I am getting around 2525fps.

On the first target I shot the first two rounds thru the same hole almost and then I proceeded to pull the last round and mess up the group. The first group was .391" and the second group is .392" and the last group is .524". These groups are all at 100yds.

Almost forgot I am bumping the shoulder back 1.5 thou with these loads and since then have went to 2 thou as I don't like the feel of the bolt when I am closing it on the 1.5 thou.

Here are some targets from the test:

Last edited by jasper2408; 08-01-2020, 03:09 PM.

Comment

• Lemonaid
                            Warrior
                            • Feb 2019

Good info, good groups, good times!

Comment

Working...
                            X