• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Falconll
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2020

Quickload Software

Just ordered a copy of the 3.9 version of Quickload. From watching some utube vids it really seem to be a handy tool.

That said are any of you guys using it and and what are some tips to make interface easier on a old man???

And anything I need to watch out for?

TIA
    I will not get in the truck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • kmon
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2015

It actually comes with a pretty good users guide.

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

Klem is your guy on QL, he has made a lot of posts and suggestions on how to use.
      (Others too but I see his a lot more I think)
      Do a search for his stuff on here, you'll find a lot of good reading.
      Welcome aboard by the way.
      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Klem
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

Falcon,

I use it for every calibre and find it is indispensable.

Three things to watch out for;

1. It's predictions are conservative, probably due to the programmers being safety conscious.
        2. You can tinker with the default parameters which is good because the default settings are sometimes not exactly your situation. An example of this is case volume, measured in grains of water. All case manufacturers have slightly different volumes for the same calibre. I recommend sizing your spent cases and then re-seating a spent primer; fill them with water and weigh. You can then enter the correct weight of water in the list of calibers and this will give a more accurate prediction.
        3. Don't expect the velocity output to be exactly what's on your chronograph. It does not take into account variations in ambient temperature or differences in barrel friction, or variations in powder energy from batch to batch, or how manufacturers measure the lengths of their barrel (from throat forward or from the start of the chamber forward, or in an AR from the barrel extension forward). Some barrel manufacturers round it up to the next whole number like Lilja (so his 19" barrel is actually 18.8). If your chrono is saying something different to QL then don't immediately look to the program to lay fault, it could be the chrono that is out. Anyway, you will never have the program and your chrono say exactly the same thing - if they are close that is as good as you will ever get.

Like any program; GIGO - 'Garbage in, Garbage out'.

One more thing, I am not the QL expert by any stretch, but do use it for all load testing. There's much of the program I am unfamiliar with. But it is great for doing What if's? I also take into account the loads here on the forum and manufacturers tables. Rather than rely on QL by itself. With a bolt gun you have a fair bit of pressure leeway but with an AR they are relatively fragile. If you are loading for an AR then celebrate QL's conservative nature because your gun will not be punished into breaking.
        Last edited by Klem; 07-28-2020, 10:42 PM.

Comment

• Jimla
          Warrior
          • Dec 2018

Once I was big quickload user, but later found out it not a good tool for developing max pressure loads. See link of a study I did a while back.

I had two questions: 1) How useful and accurate is Quickload for determining pressures 2) What pressure levels do reloading Manuals on the average have for their max load I did a detailed study to come up with an answer to these questions. The www.hodgdonreloading.com and Western Powders are two sources that list Grendel

Comment

Working...
          X