• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 65GbySeven
    Warrior
    • Dec 2018

Chamfer for ABLR

Getting ready to start my first load development with the 129 ABLR. Has anyone experienced better precision/groups using VLD vs. standard inside chamfer?
  • kmon
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2015

Never tried the VLD chamfer, I just use the one on the RCBS case prep tool or like I used for years a countersink. Easily got sub mOA loads from ABLR loads.

I did use some accuglass bedding compound with a bullet to make the seeting stem match the bullet profile.

Comment

• 65GbySeven
      Warrior
      • Dec 2018

Originally posted by kmon View Post
      Never tried the VLD chamfer, I just use the one on the RCBS case prep tool or like I used for years a countersink. Easily got sub mOA loads from ABLR loads.

I did use some accuglass bedding compound with a bullet to make the seeting stem match the bullet profile.
      Thanks! I use Hornady dies and purchased their A-TIP setting stem. It worked on the 130RDF and 118 MKZ and did not damage the tip.

Comment

• grayfox
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2017

"Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Klem
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

65GBY,

I have a few of these tools but mainly use a hand-held VLD chamfer once only on new brass. Unless using bulk cases for plinking and that gets the Lyman tool in a power drill, again, once only.

I don't imagine the angle on your chamfer is going to make any difference to accuracy, and even if it did it would be so minute that you wouldn't notice it. There are way more influential variables affecting group size. As long as the chamfer is square to the case so when the bullet shank clears the neck gas is not favoring one side.

Comment

• ported45
            Warrior
            • Feb 2018

I polished the bullet seater plug that came in my Hornady set and it does not deform the ABLRs.

My brass prep station came with VLD chamfering tool, so that is all I have used since getting it.

Comment

Working...
            X