• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nordy55
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2018

Powders

so I have 3 lbs of lever, 3 lbs of cfe223, I like both of these ,any other options that a guy can find?? Like extruded powders normally.. live in the pnw so can be cool one day and hot the next... temp sensitive would be choice...thanks shooting 120-130 gr pills
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

H4895, h322, ar-comp and varget but varget will be slower then the others I listed.

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

120-123's I like AR-comp.
      For lighter, 100- to maybe 120, 8208 xbr. Have to be careful in the 120 class with 8208 however, it can spike quickly up around the 28.0-ish max book loads. Still lots of guys use it for them successfully. Work up loads for your barrel, don't just jump in at max.
      You don't say what barrel length or type you're shooting. For some bolt actions you might be able to use a longer Coal which will possibly reduce your peak pressures.
      Also, what is hot and what is cold.... if you're loading at 79* and temps go from 40-90, not much effect imo on hunting distances if you're on a good node.
      1Shot on here uses the 120 pro hunter, deer-slayer in his neck of the woods.

Have you bought the Grendel hand books, vol 1 and 2, they have lots of info and loads in there. In the vendor section on here, AR15 build box website.

Indispensable for the Grrr.
      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• gwtx
        Warrior
        • Feb 2019

+1 on AR-Comp. It's right beside the IMR 8208 XBR on the burn charts (http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...te-chart-here/). It's close to being universal powder for Grendels if there were such a thing. Little slow for the real light bullets. Not too temp sensitive, I think "Vascar" posted about being .77fps per degree of change,,,I think that's right, but don't go to the bank with that . I've also used H 335 a little, but the AR-Comp works so well for me with the 123 gr bullets, I don't bother to experiment much. I like it better than the CFE223.
        When a man's ways please the Lord, He makes even his enemies to be at peace with him.

Comment

• Mustangfreek
          Warrior
          • Jan 2020

How is TAC?

I use it for 223/556/308 loads..would be nice to Have 1 powder For all 3

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Comment

• Bobke
              Warrior
              • Dec 2015

Comment

• Mustangfreek
                Warrior
                • Jan 2020