• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mel
    Chieftain
    • Nov 2019

140g hornday sst and ppv load dev

i was saving theese for my 6.5 cm but screw it i wanna try these on deer and antelope out of the grendel
    i think my starting load is going to be hornady brass , federal 205 gm match primers with 27.2g of ppv and work up in .2 increments since i know 28g even gets me 2400fps and is safe with ( with a cci #400 primer) a 140g hpbt match from hornady
  • Bottomdweller
    Bloodstained
    • Jun 2020

It's going all the way though with a quarter to fifty cent piece exit. Good shot placement....no prob. Seems like you are shooting long range at these antelope? 100 gr balistic tip. Crank it up.

Comment

• mel
      Chieftain
      • Nov 2019

Originally posted by Bottomdweller View Post
      It's going all the way though with a quarter to fifty cent piece exit. Good shot placement....no prob. Seems like you are shooting long range at these antelope? 100 gr balistic tip. Crank it up.
      unfortunatly yes most of the time there is no cover and antelope have great eyesight ,closest ive goten without cover is 300y , i got lucky once and there was cover and got inside 150y but couldnt shoot, the 123eld i used last time went in behind the shoulder and exited threw the stomach bullet not recovered just a couple small fragments not much exspansion, exit hole was fairly small.

Comment

• Bottomdweller
        Bloodstained
        • Jun 2020

Those antelope look the same size as a blacktail deer. In my experience as a meat hunter, I am sure I have killled or seen killed at least two hundred of them. DRT seems to happen the best when the bullets terminal velocity is right around mach 2 or better. This knowledge led me to the grendel. I have been carrying a 110 savage varmiter the last 5 years cambered in 6.5 x284 norma. Crazy accurate. But it made the deer inside 100 yards look like the rabbits you shot and still not DRT.On rare occasions I get to stretch its legs in a clear cut or a spot and stalk on the beach. I noticed that time and again that the cartridge killed far more efficiently at 300 yrds plus. 90 percent of all my shots are taken inside 100. During the rut I use a 35 remington a lot. Close shots. But if I got a long shot, the bullet wasn't up there in velocity and I had to usually track them down. I killed them just not DRT.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Bottomdweller View Post
          Those antelope look the same size as a blacktail deer. In my experience as a meat hunter, I am sure I have killled or seen killed at least two hundred of them. DRT seems to happen the best when the bullets terminal velocity is right around mach 2 or better. This knowledge led me to the grendel. I have been carrying a 110 savage varmiter the last 5 years cambered in 6.5 x284 norma. Crazy accurate. But it made the deer inside 100 yards look like the rabbits you shot and still not DRT.On rare occasions I get to stretch its legs in a clear cut or a spot and stalk on the beach. I noticed that time and again that the cartridge killed far more efficiently at 300 yrds plus. 90 percent of all my shots are taken inside 100. During the rut I use a 35 remington a lot. Close shots. But if I got a long shot, the bullet wasn't up there in velocity and I had to usually track them down. I killed them just not DRT.
          If you want DRT kills 100% of the time, you need to change your bullet impact to the high shoulder and take out the cns.

Comment

• Bottomdweller
            Bloodstained
            • Jun 2020

Yep if you hit em there 100 percent of the time.

Comment

• mel
              Chieftain
              • Nov 2019

Got some loaded up will shoot them after work tonight

Comment

• mel
                Chieftain
                • Nov 2019

loaded at 27.4g shot 3 rd group 2390-2400fps
                not sure what happened with the very first round on the far left was the very first unsupressed round out of my gun in about 250 rounds without cleaning , prolly cleaned the barrel out for me

scope was on a new profile with no zero for this round

id have shot more but i got sidetracked with some 123eld and 130rdf testing
                Last edited by mel; 08-12-2020, 02:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X