• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Klaus Von Richter
    Bloodstained
    • Jun 2020

Lyman powder measure

I want to get a better powder measure than my lee prefect powder measure. I was planning on mounting it to my turret press. What are the difference between the Lyman brass smith measure and the no55 measure?
    Any info would be great.
  • 1Shot
    Warrior
    • Feb 2018

I think the brass one is to be safe with Black Powder. The No55 is all steel which is fine with smokeless powders.

Comment

• Lemonaid
      Warrior
      • Feb 2019

Gavintube review. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3LVCztJTho

Comment

• Klaus Von Richter
        Bloodstained
        • Jun 2020

Originally posted by Lemonaid View Post

Comment

• Mad Charlie
          Warrior
          • May 2017

55 has a knocker, goes a long way toward consistency. Brass Smith is reversible. That guy doesn't know how to operate a powder measure. I don't think the Brass smith is actually made from brass. The Lyman black powder measure has an aluminum hopper on a cast iron or steel base. Lyman is playing CYA with the aluminum hopper.

Static electricity doesn't ignite black powder.

Comment

• jasper2408
            Warrior
            • Jan 2019

I have the Lyman 55 Standard and it has a brass powder meter but the rest of the powder throw is cast I think. I had the Lee powder measures when I first started reloading and they are convenient but I finally got tired of cleaning powder up that leaked out of the drum every time. I get no leaks from this powder measure no matter what powder I am loading. Extruded powder can be funky and I can't get it to be real accurate but I trickle so I don't care.

I ended up mounting mine on an aluminum stand from Brownells that I can move when I want. One thing is if you get one be sure and use some blue loctite on the screw that is opposite the throw handle on the outside of the drum so it will stay tight. I only had to do that once and it has stayed tight for over 2 years. It will come loose otherwise.

I have thought of replacing it several times with a different one but I see no reason to when I can dial up any rifle load I need on this one. I did not like it mounted on my Lee classic turret press though. Too bulky and hard to get to the setting screws when on the turret plus it would swivel when the turret moved. Just not made for a progressive press in my opinion.

Hope this info helps you.

Comment

• Mad Charlie
              Warrior
              • May 2017

I have three 55's, 1 Hornady, 1 RCBS, the measure on my 550b, and my ChargeMaster. They all work.

Comment

• jasper2408
                Warrior
                • Jan 2019

Originally posted by Mad Charlie View Post
                I have three 55's, 1 Hornady, 1 RCBS, the measure on my 550b, and my ChargeMaster. They all work.
                I am editing my post so that I can explain my reason for recommending another powder measure for a turret. On the drop tube there is a groove all the way around the top of the tube that is inserted into the measure body and then it is tightened down by a set screw that is supposed to hold it in place. The set screw works for awhile but then it will start to loosen and turn when you tap the handle to drop a load (no pun intended). I did not like having to tighten it every few powder drops. I decided to mount mine on a clamp-on stand from Brownells and now I have no problems. I did see other reviews about the same problem I had from other users.

I went and checked the Brass smith and it looks like they have redesigned the way the drop tube attaches. It now has a jam nut and the threads are standard. There is nothing wrong with the 55 but if I was going to mount it in a turret I would get the Brass smith.
                Last edited by jasper2408; 09-02-2020, 11:38 AM.

Comment

• Longbow
                  Bloodstained
                  • Oct 2017

Harrells for all smokeless. Have four Lyman 55's with aluminum tubes mounted to them for black powder.Set the charge and leave it along,each set for A different gun or load.

Comment

• LR1955
                    Super Moderator
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Klaus Von Richter View Post
                    I want to get a better powder measure than my lee prefect powder measure. I was planning on mounting it to my turret press. What are the difference between the Lyman brass smith measure and the no55 measure?
                    Any info would be great.
                    KVR:

Problem with any of these measures is that they don't sit high enough above the ram for ease of use. Unless you buy an extension like the one Dillon makes for the Redding measure. I have used this extension on turrets but recall it is a pain to get set up so you don't mash the neck or leak powder. Once set, it is OK though. See if Dillon is still making that extension and if it will fit what you already have.

LR55

Comment

• Klaus Von Richter
                      Bloodstained
                      • Jun 2020

Comment

• Mad Charlie
                        Warrior
                        • May 2017

Prayers for your rapid recovery.

Comment

• Klaus Von Richter
                          Bloodstained
                          • Jun 2020

Originally posted by Mad Charlie View Post
                          Prayers for your rapid recovery.
                          Thanks man. I have to get a plate put in my arm. After that it is a couple months of recovery , then I have to do physical therapy.

Comment

• Sinclair
                            Warrior
                            • Feb 2018

Originally posted by Klaus Von Richter View Post
                            Thanks man. I have to get a plate put in my arm. After that it is a couple months of recovery , then I have to do physical therapy.
                            After two knees and one hip replacement, I can tell you to push yourself hard during the early stages of therapy. You will benefit in the later stages. Pain is only temporary, but pride is fore ever. Some of my fellow patients did not do this and suffered through long and agonizing sessions of therapy. Some went on for over a year. Best wishes, I will pray for you.
                            "A Patriot must always be ready to defend his Country against his government"
                            Edward Abbey

"Stay out of trouble, Never give up, Never give in, Watch you're six, Hold the line, Stay Frosty."
                            Dr. Sabastian Gorka, Hungarian by birth, American Patriot by Beliefs.

Comment

• riuma
                              Warrior
                              • Jun 2018

I have had several Lyman measures over the decades -usually they came in an estate sale lot of loading gear. I never found them to be as reliable as other measures and would give them away to interested parties. My two main measures are an ancient Seeley Masker BR measure that I use for the finer powders and a Jones Precision. The Jones is the best measure for coarser powders that I have ever used.

With the powders used in the Grendel, most any decent measure will work well I think.~Riuma

Comment

Working...
                              X