• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WSAR15
    Bloodstained
    • Jul 2017

Starline Brass or other?

I am looking to buy some 6.5 Grendel new brass. I have 300 Hornady bought on sale and new to reloading.
    There is some Lapua brass out there but way more expensive.
    I am considering the Starline brass - Are they OK and comparable to Hornady? Any other recommendations?
    Thanks for your input!
  • FLshooter
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2019

Starline makes good brass.But it this time, I stick with whatever I can find. And I found Hornady.

Comment

• Popeye212
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2018

I have Lapua and Starline and don't think Lapua is worth the extra cost. I am using Starline now.

Comment

• sundowner
        Chieftain
        • Nov 2017

I have Starline and love it , also have hornady for load workup .

Comment

• Klem
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

WSAR,

The only experience I have is with Lapua and I sourced them based on my experience in other calibres and their reputation as arguably the best in the world. The cost is really about how many reloads you get from each one rather than just the initial price. So, how many reloads in a box and then work out what is the cost of the brass per reload. I have yet to throw any away so to be honest I don't know.

If you want to shoot the tiniest groups then Lapua would be a good choice.

If you hunt and don't pick up the spent cases then cheaper brands make more sense.

Comment

• WSAR15
            Bloodstained
            • Jul 2017

Thanks everyone.
            I am going to buy some Starline for now (unless I find some Hornady).
            Last edited by WSAR15; 08-31-2020, 05:35 PM.

Comment

• Popeye212
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2018

Originally posted by WSAR15 View Post
              Thanks everyone.
              I am going to by some Starline fro now (unless I find some Hornady).
              I quit using Hornady got tired of throwing away loose primer pockets

Comment

• diggler1833
                Bloodstained
                • Aug 2020

I bought 500 new Starline when I started my first Grendel build this spring.

I randomly grabbed 10 pieces of brass and measured them. They were all within .002 of each other, and right on the trim to length. I then weighed those and if memory serves correctly there was only a couple of tenths of a grain variation.

Right now as I'm still using them I simply run them through the sizing die, stick a flash hole uniformer in there (not needed on 9 out of 10 of them), slightly chamfer and deburr, prime, charge and seat a bullet...it is cutting an hour or better off of my time to reload 50.

Comment

• dammitman
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2012

i will assure you that when checkedfor length, weighed, sixed and hand loaded with tried and tested loads the starline will serve you well for your hunting and general target needs. now if your trying to shoot 800 yards and keep a 4 inch group,,,properly checked and separated and they will do just as well!

Comment

• WSAR15
                    Bloodstained
                    • Jul 2017

Thanks for all you inputs. My 500 Rd order from Starline is on its way.
                    My ultimate objective is a very consistent round built for out to 300yds (I'm in NH) and some economic gain, though probably limited - Redding T7 Press and Redding Dies will be used = LE Wilson Case Gauge. CCI#450 Primers when I can find some. Probably Hornady 123gr SST Bullets. Powder unknown.
                    Last edited by WSAR15; 09-01-2020, 01:13 PM.

Comment

• bluetick
                      Bloodstained
                      • Aug 2020

Comment

• LR1955
                        Super Moderator
                        • Mar 2011

bt:

Most reloaders will size unused brass, no matter the brand, to remove any dents in the necks that occurred during shipping.

LR55

Comment

• glk45
                          Bloodstained
                          • Aug 2018

Originally posted by Popeye212 View Post
                          I quit using Hornady got tired of throwing away loose primer pockets
                          Same here. I had 14 reloads with my Starline before i had split necks. Of course i don't hot rod my loads. If the low node has descent velocity i stick with it.

Comment

• jkingrph
                            Warrior
                            • Aug 2014

It's been a while since i bought any. Back when I jumped on the 6.5 Grendel bandwagon about 10 years ago brass was scarce and expensive. About the only thing available was Lapua. I ended up getting a couple of thousand IMI 7.62x39 cases and running them through my Grendel sizing die, and have fireformed some. Fireforming loads are quite accurate, not up to standard load quality, but nice for casual shooting, just plan on lower point of impact. They all generate enough energy to cycle my AR. After Hornandy came on the market i did get some of it, and some from the cheaper Wolf factory ammo. From my experience the Laupa is best, but you pay for it.
                            Member before 2010, account deleted per 2011 spam attack

Comment

• Gtscotty
                              Bloodstained
                              • Jul 2019

That's unfortunate, I've been using Starline and the primer pockets strike me as kind of weak, I was hoping Hornady might be a little better.

Comment

Working...
                              X