• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bluetick
    Bloodstained
    • Aug 2020

no small rifle primers

I'm about out and I cannot find small rifle primers. Not even on Ammoseek. Nowhere locally. Never seen anything like it.
  • mdram
    Warrior
    • Sep 2016

they pop up from time to time, but sell out fast
    there is a discord group that has alerts
    just some targets for printing
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• biodsl
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2011

This whole episode has me yet again reconsidering how I stock ammo and reloading components. I now have small and large primer brass in both Grendel and Creedmoor so that I can load either caliber with either primer.

My LGS has all the bullets and brass you want. Powder and primers are nowhere to be found.
      Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• 1Shot
        Warrior
        • Feb 2018

Word is that all the primers are going into factory ammo. Plants are running 24/7 and can't keep up with ammo demand.
        I was taught this little saying 45 years ago when in college. "Prior preparation prevents poor performance." Which translates into reloading, "always keep a good supply of what you need on hand for times like these."

Comment

• topcaat1
          Bloodstained
          • Nov 2011

I googled primers and got to about the 5th or 6th page before I found any.
          They were almost twice as expensive an normal.
          When I went to check on shipping I found out they would not ship to me.
          That's when I noticed the several companies I was looking at were either in Australia or New Zealand.
          Dang It!

Comment

• bluetick
            Bloodstained
            • Aug 2020

Originally posted by 1Shot View Post
            Word is that all the primers are going into factory ammo. Plants are running 24/7 and can't keep up with ammo demand.
            I was taught this little saying 45 years ago when in college. "Prior preparation prevents poor performance." Which translates into reloading, "always keep a good supply of what you need on hand for times like these."
            That is the most plausible explanation I've heard yet. It makes sense.

Comment

• Mark611
              Warrior
              • Feb 2017

Yep these are facts! Theirs so many new gun purchases due to the Riots and CV19 and the Election coming up ammo manufactures can not keep up! Which trickles back to the availability of primers and powder! I purchased 500 new Starline cases for my 6.5 Creedmoor, I purchased the small rifle primer cases over the larger primer cases because that's what I wanted to use for my new rifle, I purchased these cases a few mons ago, I have not been able to find any small rifle magnum primers or any small rifle primers in any quantity any where, I have been fortunate to find some 8LB containers of RL16 for my Creedmoor at a local shop, On the better side of all of this is I have over 10k large rifle primers on hand, but I had to purchase 500 new Large Rifle Primer Starline cases to start my load development for my Creedmoor, I have enough small non mag rifle primers to keep my 6.5Grrr AR running for a a little while, as 1 has said preparation's and keeping ahead of the times coming is key, it may limit ur shoot but at least u'll be able to use ur gun for something other then a club

Comment

• Rosecrans1
                Warrior
                • Feb 2019

I'm normally not much of a critical thinker but I am so glad I put out an APB that I was looking for small rifle and small pistol primers months ago when I did. (started loading my own 9mm after telling folks I never would because "its so cheap and plentiful, why bother")?
                It did make me think since I was a fireman for years and I bring this up only for members here to look at and evaluate!
                Every gun owner /reloader is at the mercy of manufacturers and distributors to supply components. It was said here and many other places that it's just prudent to keep a decent reserve "IF" you have the temp-controlled areas to store it long term and to "Store it Safely". STORE IT SAFELY!!! (No volunteer or paid fireman enjoys crawling into a burning structure where a hoarder is storing large quantities of gasoline, diesel, LP tanks, loaded ammo, primers and rifle powders in their basements)!!! No loved ones/family members should be asked to live above a potential powder keg or fuel depot either!
                Heating season is coming. It will be on the news in many locals about homes going up in fires where a person's cache of stuff injures or kills first responders and aided in the residents injuries or death(s). Please be careful!

Comment

• mtnlvr
                  Warrior
                  • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Rosecrans1 View Post
                  ...Heating season is coming. It will be on the news in many locals about homes going up in fires where a person's cache of stuff injures or kills first responders and aided in the residents injuries or death(s). Please be careful!
                  Good points, but it doesn't happen that often, and when it does, it's usually just a blip in the news. Firefighters usually stand safely by and let the fireworks finish... As long as everyone is already out.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                    Chieftain
                    • May 2016

Primers are likely the bottleneck in the entire ammo manufacturing industry. There is a drying process of the chemicals involved that takes time, so I don't think you can take an assembly line running one or 2 shifts a day and have it run around the clock. Not an expert on this - just what I've gathered after reading about the Lake City fire a few years ago.
                    Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• xjtony
                      Unwashed
                      • Feb 2018

I just got lucky. Out camping and stopped by a sportsmans when they were unloading a truck. Got a case of Fedral AR Match small rifle. Never used these, but they are the only small rifle primers I've seen in over a month.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                        Chieftain
                        • May 2016

Originally posted by xjtony View Post
                        I just got lucky. Out camping and stopped by a sportsmans when they were unloading a truck. Got a case of Fedral AR Match small rifle. Never used these, but they are the only small rifle primers I've seen in over a month.
                        They suck and you'll hate them. That's all I use so send them to me.

Actually, I lied. I also use the standard Federal Small Rifle Match (GM205M). They are completely interchangeable with the GM205MAR. Only difference is the AR has a thicker cup, but I've never had a problem with the GM205M in an AR.
                        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• biodsl
                          Chieftain
                          • Aug 2011

I was sitting on the computer when I got a notification that CCI #450 primers were available. In four minutes they were out of stock. I wasn't fast enough. four minutes...
                          Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• dammitman
                            Warrior
                            • Dec 2012

lesson learned several years ago about supply and needs,,,,,, climate control and storage lessons learned,,,,,,sufferage due to lack of ammo and firearm parts lesson learned and dealt with,,,,,,realistic needs made and fulfilled.

Comment

• Wargrendeleagle
                              Warrior
                              • Sep 2018

I scored 5000 CCI 450 last night following the reloading discord from Midway at 1030pm central. Thanks for the recommendation!

Comment

Working...
                              X